mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have been thinking about getting this game. Played it a lot back in 95-96. Have only heard good things about the game....and one of the minor complaints was the maps aren't random like before.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Maps are smaller but so is your squad size.

How is going into canada a spoiler? It's totally random which country defects to the aliens.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Got it on Saturday. Survived my first Terror mission with no dead on my squad. I ran into some of those Chrysallids but got lucky. they each killed one civy before I got them. Then their presents popped up, but I managed to deal with them in one turn, so no bonus surprises for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
the proper use of .50cal

I think he ment the thing that turned his Squaddies. But Since most here are X-Com veterans I dont think its spoilers to say Chrysalids (Sp?).

Oh, the Terror Mission are fun! You have to save the people now, just by moving next to them, but still its a added complication to the misson.

My squad got wiped last night durring my first encounter with 2 Mutons and a Cyberdisk. Yeah it wasn't pretty, the Cyberdisk did most of the damage.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

I haven't encountered Mutons yet. I still need to capture a Sectoid. I nabbed a Thin Man, but the Sectoids are too fragile and pack together.

Will the Arc Thrower work on a Cyberdisc?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to mcgral18

I know you can upgrade the Arc Thrower to get drones on your side, but I'm not sure if that would help you get other flying enemies as well.

And I've found something very satisfying, taking down a large cargo ship and everything inside it without taking any damage, while capturing a Beserker and a Sectoid Commander. Sure, it was on normal non-Ironman, but quite fun.

I'm liking the game so far.

An AK will not be stopped by a ham sandwich.
mcgral18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Just went up against elite mutons and sectopod. **** just got real.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Do you have to build additional containment rooms at your base in order to capture more than one alien per mission?

Ran into my fist Mutons last night. Three of them hanging out in a coffee shop. I think they took offense to my squad smacking their Thin Man and Sectoid buddies around. By the time I put the last one down, they had killed three of my six team members.

I got too use to my Sniper Captain laying waste with Squad View. My Sniper Squaddie - not so deadly. I also benched my Heavy and Assault Captains for this mission. That didn't help either, but I'm worried about not having enough depth in my roster. This mission is getting replayed.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to mcgral18

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesn8s View Post
Do you have to build additional containment rooms at your base in order to capture more than one alien per mission?

Ran into my fist Mutons last night. Three of them hanging out in a coffee shop. I think they took offense to my squad smacking their Thin Man and Sectoid buddies around. By the time I put the last one down, they had killed three of my six team members.

I got too use to my Sniper Captain laying waste with Squad View. My Sniper Squaddie - not so deadly. I also benched my Heavy and Assault Captains for this mission. That didn't help either, but I'm worried about not having enough depth in my roster. This mission is getting replayed.
I dont think you need more than one chamber...but I could be wrong.

And I agree about restarting certain missions. I could not do ironman mode, if I make a mistake, I revert and make darn sure to avoid getting 3 grenades in a row...lost 3 men in that one volley, it was rough.

An AK will not be stopped by a ham sandwich.
mcgral18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Keep yer pump hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcon-5 View Post
I think he ment the thing that turned his Squaddies. But Since most here are X-Com veterans I dont think its spoilers to say Chrysalids (Sp?).
Bingo! Spoiler alert might have been overkill, but better safe than sorry, some take their gaming experience very seriously.

I've started a 'Normal-Ironman' game while I heal from the emotional trauma from 'Day of the Chrysalids'.

On a mission now to rescue some Council member from the enemy, and using my shiny new sniper for the first time. Character abilities are very cool...my Support class has picked up the 'Run and Gun' ability, which has already been valuable, getting her spitting distance to a Thin Man in a flash.

He didn't like the resulting shotgun blast in his flank, but I rather did.

Here's hoping the rest of the mission goes as well.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in