mcarterbrown.com
 

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
A man without a mission
 
Flying Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Petawawa, Ontario, Canada

Brass N Wood Fan
Cold weather running clothing

I've been getting back into shape, running on days that we dont run as a unit. With the colder weather coming, what are some recomendations for things to wear?

I'm thinking somthing like a long sleee compression UA top with a thin sweater over top. I also have to get a thin set of gloves. Also, a small toque is probably a good idea. Not sure what to do for pants.
I am naturaly very warm, I sweat alot. So running with a sweat suit is not really an option as it will be way to warm for me.

Any tips or info or links would be awsome.

Thanks

Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 10-13-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
biftip98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007

Hey man,

I used to live in PA and run in the winter quite abit. Were talking snow on the ground and temps in the 20s.

I never wore workout pants or sweat pants or anything like that. I simply wore my normal mesh running shorts and when and bought some think knee high socks to keep my legs warm. I found that this gave me the most "freedom" and felt natural allowing me to keep my normal stride without weighting me down our causing chafing.

For the top I generally wore just a long sleeve Tshirt. If it was a bit colder, I would do a long sleeve with another short sleeve T over it.

I would wear a hoodie on really cold days. These are nice because you can wear the hood during our warm up period, but once you start to get warm you can just flip it off and you don't have to worry about over heating or sweet getting into your eyes.

Any gloves will do really. However I found that no matter what my hands would always be cold and gloves made it super hard to work my Ipod so I eventually stopped wearing them.

On a side note, if its winter your prob. running in the dark or low light conditions. Take some steps to protect yourself. I used to run with a flashlight, not so I could see but so cars would see the light flickering and know I was there. I eventually bought a little bike light that flashed red that I could clip onto my sleeve or shorts. I even went so far as to get some reflective tape and put some on my sleeves and shorts, but I was running by a major thru road in my town so I wanted to be extra careful.

Hope this all helps.
biftip98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
biftip98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007

Wow, just saw your from Canada... Um just buy a gym membership man and hit the treadmill... lol... Way way way to cold for me up there!!!!!
biftip98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bruins World Order
 
StJimmy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Great White North (Sault Ste. Marie, ON)

AKA Fan
You'll look like a massive douche, but just get UA ColdGear Compression from head to toe. They even have a facemask. Just throw some splash pants and something with a windproof liner over it and you're good to go. That stuff is magical in the winter. Last winter in the Soo that's pretty much what I did, and I would actually lose the sweater for a little bit to cool down in -20 weather. If you're already that warm naturally you can even just put on loose running pants or if you think you can pull it off, just run in the underarmour.

I was giggling at "temps in the 20s" and yes I know you meant F.
__________________
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.

Last edited by StJimmy666; 10-13-2012 at 01:40 PM.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
A man without a mission
 
Flying Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Petawawa, Ontario, Canada

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by biftip98 View Post
I never wore workout pants or sweat pants or anything like that. I simply wore my normal mesh running shorts and when and bought some thick knee high socks to keep my legs warm
Never thought about wearing long socks, I like the idea. I'm the kind that wears shorts as long as possible, well into the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biftip98 View Post
On a side note, if its winter your prob. running in the dark or low light conditions. Take some steps to protect yourself. I used to run with a flashlight, not so I could see but so cars would see the light flickering and know I was there. I eventually bought a little bike light that flashed red that I could clip onto my sleeve or shorts. I even went so far as to get some reflective tape and put some on my sleeves and shorts, but I was running by a major thru road in my town so I wanted to be extra careful.

Hope this all helps.
Good call, I am fortunate enough to have a groomed trail or two within 500m of my place, so I'm not to worried about being seen by cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJimmy666
You'll look like a massive douche, but just get UA ColdGear Compression from head to toe. They even have a facemask. Just throw some splash pants and something with a windproof liner over it and you're good to go.
I dont know about head to toe, but definatly getting some UA, I love my HeatGear.

When I'm talking colder weather for my southern friends, I'm talkin 5 to -20 or -30 celsius, or about 40 to -5 or -22 fahrenheit. Its not that bad lol It is to cold to do my static exercises out doors, but nice for running.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep em coming.
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
biftip98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
When I'm talking colder weather for my southern friends, I'm talkin 5 to -20 or -30 celsius, or about 40 to -5 or -22 fahrenheit. .
Yeah, once it hits single digits its time to move it indoors lol...
biftip98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bruins World Order
 
StJimmy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Great White North (Sault Ste. Marie, ON)

AKA Fan
Pfft. We call that "brisk"
__________________
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
sloonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 08619

Fan of EMR
My experience is running in NJ so it may be a different climate then Ontario but here's what I wear for cold weather running.

Normal running shorts
Tech T and cotton long sleeve shirt over it
Nike Drifit running gloves (but the Thermafit might be a better option in your cold enviornment) (http://store.nike.com)
Bondiband Wicking Hat (Wicking Hats - Bondi Band)
__________________
I don't believe in much but I do believe in duct tape.

Dailymile
Facebook
sloonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC