mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Board Game Suggestions? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/216114-board-game-suggestions.html)

Luckless 10-15-2012 04:20 PM

Board Game Suggestions?

Planning to go shopping for some board games sometime this week as a group of friends have boardgame nights a few times a month at the University.

"Features" that work well:
Cheap, these will often be shared with strangers, and I rather not cart around an $80-100 game with tonnes of small and important pieces to trust to people I barely know.

Suitable for groups of players between 2-8. (Ideally want to still play them with smaller groups of friends as well. We can get upwards of 20 people showing up at times, so we're often playing apples to apples or cards against humanity.)

Easy and clear rules. Most people in the group are either university students or recent grads, but some have demonstrated a real knack for being bad with complex rule systems. That, and I rather not spend two hours having everyone learn a game enough to get some strategies in mind.

Games examples that have proven popular:
Cards against Humanity (But trying to find options other than something like this)
Catan (everyone loves Catan)
Carcassonne

Risk and Monopoly are already vetoed by members of the group and are not welcomed. We don't mind long games, but we want to avoid slog-end games where one or two people battle for first place and the rest are stuck trying not to be dead last for hours on end.

Greenmtnphantom 10-15-2012 04:28 PM

Hero Quest?

Stilgar 10-15-2012 04:28 PM

Jungle speed

Hands down one of the most fun games I have ever played. Makes a great drinking game too! Simple in concept but challenging to actually play.

Luckless 10-15-2012 04:50 PM

Something like HeroQuest gets a maybe, and I think Jungle Speed gets flagged as a likely purchase if they have it in stock.

uv_halo 10-15-2012 05:02 PM

Their not technically board games but, they serve the same purpose:

Mille Bornes
Munchkin

martix_agent 10-15-2012 05:11 PM

parchisi is a fairly decent game that won't make the loosers sit and watch for very long.

alkafluence 10-15-2012 11:16 PM

Forbidden Island | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Games are pretty quick. Granted it only supports up to 4 players. But, since the games are pretty quick we usually consider them rounds and end up playing several back to back with people switching in and out as we up the difficulty. At the more difficult flood levels you pretty much have to do everything right or your party will lose.

cirkle68 10-15-2012 11:18 PM

Zombies!

ScrapIron 10-15-2012 11:24 PM

I second Zombies, its a good "beer & chips" sort of game

wetwrks 10-15-2012 11:39 PM

Big hits with us are:

almost any of the Fluxx games (Star Fluxx, Zombie Fluxx, Chuthulu Fluxx, Martian Fluxx...)

Dominion (has the basic game and a number of expansions)

Ingenious

Blokus (Blokus Trigon is another version)