mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Battlefield 2 had popular servers for 'paintball'. There was no modding of the graphics, you simply chose a kit with a submachine gun or pistol at the start of the game. Everyone would go to opposite ends of a convenient warehouse(opponents often passing each other without firing). At the 2:00 mark it was game on and each team entered it's end of the warehouse to duke it out. While this didn't have the look maybe, it was epic in term of fun. Battlefield2142 which I play now has the same deal, I'm sure Battlefield 3, which I will not play, has it as well.
The funnest paintball style sim I've ever jacked into was the deathmatch splitscreen for James Bond 007: Nighfire on the PS2. Using Golden Guns as these guys are gives 1 or 2 hit kills.

Nightfire Pistols (31-11) 1 vs 3 at Fort Knox - YouTube

Jump to 1:30 for oldschool awesomeness.

That's kind of where I think this should go and stay. You won't get access to any of Dice's technology unless you're making a level or minigame to be rolled into a Dice game! Call them, they might actually go for that! Dice is actually four or five swedish dudes....

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Field 51, Gorham, ME

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
And that's the problem. I'd rather just go play. Video games are for things you can't do, or in some cases no longer do. That said, ARMA2, 68 Cal mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQigt4OCvZs
I learned about paintball through video games, and I'm sure other people would too. I was a kid and wasn't even sure if it was something I wanted to try, but thanks to the game I did. Plus, I live in a place that gets 6 months of snow, so my season ends pretty abruptly I'd definitely play a game like this in the down time
Floundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Oldbie

It's good and bad, I'd need players, obviously the AI was not designed for paintball. I just tossed them in with the editor to give a feel for it. The big X's fall down if you shoot them too much also, and it still uses the wounding system, more than one hit before you are "out".
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Field 51, Gorham, ME

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
It's good and bad, I'd need players, obviously the AI was not designed for paintball. I just tossed them in with the editor to give a feel for it. The big X's fall down if you shoot them too much also, and it still uses the wounding system, more than one hit before you are "out".
it is pretty sweet though, regardless of the wounding system. I take it those are just wiped hits
Floundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Woodsball Connoisseur

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
N64 007 Goldeneye with the Paintball cheat. That was the most fun I had with a paintball video game.
Xbox live: Grendal50
Grendal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundah View Post
it is pretty sweet though, regardless of the wounding system. I take it those are just wiped hits

True and I've played paintball games that didn't eliminate you for hits on the extremities. I still prefer video games for things I can't do in real life, like teaching wipers a lesson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtLhl4XE-w
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

ROFL
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Oldbie

One final lesson while I'm at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujSdzAYojs
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

lol, that reminded me of this old Bud Lite commercial

Bud Light Paintball Commercial - Paintball - Not Too Light, Not Too Heavy - YouTube
DamoNAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundah View Post
I learned about paintball through video games, and I'm sure other people would too. I was a kid and wasn't even sure if it was something I wanted to try, but thanks to the game I did. Plus, I live in a place that gets 6 months of snow, so my season ends pretty abruptly I'd definitely play a game like this in the down time
did you try cheating like the game taught you too?

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in