mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Falcon, get the 1DX. 18MP at 12FPS. That's 216MP/s. They're only what, $6800.
hehe ya these things sounds like a chain gun compared to the 7D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v=lekEon0_-lA
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
yea lol I wouldn't spend $7K on just a body unless I was going to be a professional photog and I got friends that are pros and have told me that in all honesty until you build a huge name for yourself it's not a lucrative profession whatsoever. With that said those wedding shots I took last month impressed the pro photog that was there so he asked me if I'd like to earn extra money this coming summer by shooting weddings with him . So I just scored myself some extra fun money for a few weekends a month of wedding shoots . He usually leaves after the main shots but lots of couples he's had lately have also wanted reception pictures too and well he said it gets to be a long day but if I'm willing to stick it out he's willing to pay me a few hundred dollars per shoot which is about a 10-15% cut. I figure why not? I enjoy taking photos and I love doing candid stuff. So I'm thinking if I'm going to be a pro photog and getting paid to do it an upgrade is definitely in order. I'm thinking a 7D so I can capture first dances and such as those are moments a lot of couples really want shots off. Heck the aged shot I posted in the best photos of 2012 thread is a winding down shot (ie a lot of people had left the reception it was pretty late but it made for great shooting since I could get nice and tight and get that emotion I wanted whereas with lots of people around it can get tricky.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Took out a d5100 today with a 50 f1.8G and I am amazed how much camera you can get for the price now. Sub $1k and it keeps up with any other camera I've used in terms of quality. The APS-C sensors are so cheap to manufacture nowadays that I see it staying around for a while, maybe micro 4/3 will take over the market a little more? We'll see.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Crops are still vastly cheaper to produce than a full frame chip, and can do more than well enough. My 7D is excellent, and I love what I can do with it. I have no pressing need to "upgrade" to a full frame for the sake of a full frame. (That said, I will eventually own a 5DmkII or III to go with my 7D, but I will always have something from the 7D lineup. I really can't see Canon abandoning it, as it is a wonderful camera for birding and sports.)

Remember, due to how the chips are made, crop chips of various designs can be produced at a rate of 1:3 upwards of 1:10 vs full frame, depending on the exact design and layout (Chips being produced in batches, and divided from a single plate like thing) you can fit a ton more crop sensors on a single production run. That, and a flaw that will kill a number of chips from a batch will take a far lower percentage of the yield.

Crop isn't going anywhere soon unless we have some major revolution in chip production.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Crops are still vastly cheaper to produce than a full frame chip, and can do more than well enough. My 7D is excellent, and I love what I can do with it. I have no pressing need to "upgrade" to a full frame for the sake of a full frame. (That said, I will eventually own a 5DmkII or III to go with my 7D, but I will always have something from the 7D lineup. I really can't see Canon abandoning it, as it is a wonderful camera for birding and sports.)

Remember, due to how the chips are made, crop chips of various designs can be produced at a rate of 1:3 upwards of 1:10 vs full frame, depending on the exact design and layout (Chips being produced in batches, and divided from a single plate like thing) you can fit a ton more crop sensors on a single production run. That, and a flaw that will kill a number of chips from a batch will take a far lower percentage of the yield.

Crop isn't going anywhere soon unless we have some major revolution in chip production.
Well said! And I like having a 1.5 crop. The math is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
You make a good point luckless a full frame for full frame sake is silly. I'm thinking like either a 7D or a 5D classic depending on what happens. If I get a lot of weddings in next summer I may buy 2 used bodies and then I can use the 5d for portraits and the 7d for sports and such

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel

Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Thank you to everyone for a great discussion!

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
Thank you to everyone for a great discussion!
I agree! I like discussions like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
+1 on the great discussion point. This is why I love MCB. We have discussions on Paintball,photography and many other topics and nobody gets butt hurt if someone's opinion differs . I swear I came here for the paintball and true it is my primary focus on this site but I also enjoy the fact that with the PB and the B&G and the plugged in forums and such that we have basically formed an online social club. I think if MCB were an actual gathering place it would be a tastfully decored old world style castle with various rooms that would represent the forums and sub forums ie a smoking lounge, whiskey bar,tequila room etc and then of course in the center of it all a big open space for major PB action . Frig now I want to get artsy and actually draw that for fun

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel

Quote:
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
If you read Thom Hogan's thoughts, you will probably agree that Nikon should not neglect DX. It accounts for twice the revenue in terms of volume as CX and FX combined. Nikon wants to be #1 in the camera business, which means not/not dropping any core product lines...much less their most profitable.

The issue is that Nikon has long neglected DX...especially in terms of lenses. No wide primes. No 70-200mm equivalent. The list goes on and on. Pricing is also abusive to anyone who wants to adopt DX as a system. It's annoying, actually...I'm on the verve of leaving Nikon for Canon over the lack of quality control (I had to purchase multiple times this year before getting a body of acceptable quality). I do think we'll see a D300 replacement--a D4 for DX. Some people want build and speed over an FX sensor.

State of Nikon DX in 2012
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in