mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Guitar String Thread

I've been using Elixr strings for years without any issues up until recently. I put a set on one of my acoustics and ended up breaking a string within a week. Called them and they sent a new set, but I'd already replaced the strings as I had a gig that weekend before I got the new set. When the new set got here, I just put them on my new martin. Two weeks into it and I broke another string. I wasn't playing it, I just went to pick it up off my stand and I noticed a broken string.

Actually, when I was playing with the band for a church service our lead singer's guitar string broke and he was using the same brand.

I've always used Elixr's and always been very happy with them up until recently. In the last week, three sets have broken and I can't have that risk when I'm playing live 3 times a week.

So, without and more text, what is a good brand of acoustic strings? Looking for a good tone of course, with a medium gauge.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I've never liked Elixirs. Some guys swear buy them. I just don't think their tone is worth the extra cost.

You're using medium gauge strings....how thick are your picks? I ask because for years I was using thickish picks...not super thick but firm. After going through set after set of strings I knew something had to change. It was my pick. I've gone to a much thinner pick. Lots of give. Because here's the thing...if you're plugged in (which if you're playing in church I assume you are) as long as your pick hits the string, you'll be heard. I found I can keep strings on for much much longer.

To answer your original question....I've gone through a variety of strings over the years. My current love is D'Addario Phospher Bronze. I'm using med/thin.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I use a medium pick, usually a .60mm Dunlop but I do have some heavy picks that I use occasionally. I hate the feel of a light pick in my hand.

The local music shop has a string change for two bucks today with the purchase of strings. I'll probably take it by there and just have them put some D'Addario's on it. I have some on my SG and I haven't been disapointed.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I'll say that a light pick took some getting used to, there are times that I still turn my pick sideways so I'm using the back edge that's a little thicker to hammer home some rhythm. Good luck.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Now that I have two nice acoustic guitars, I'll probably put a lighter set on one and a heavier set on the other. I had a set of D'Adarrio mediums put on the Martin today. The local shop was running a special where they were installing strings for $2 today. Saved me some time. Excited to see how these strings last!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I use ernie ball coated titanium slinkies. usually 10s, sometimes opt for the fat bottomed thin top combos if I play a lot of metal lately...

Idk. I like Ernie Ball. Their strings sound good to me, and in C standard, I like the sound.

88mm green tortex picks here, pointed tip instead of the rounded.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Being playing these for the last two days. Not as smooth as I'd like, but I am used to the elixr's being buttery smooth. They sound great though.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I like Dean Markley Blue Steel on my Les Paul, GHS Boomers on my Washburn. I use Martin's on my acoustic.
canuckistani is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in