mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
Steam Piston - Thoughts?

Xi3′s Piston: A Steam Box Emerges, Sort Of

Overall it sounds like a great concept for Valve to capture more of the console market. The pricing is a bit steep, but I really like how its designed to be modular. What does everyone else think? Am I buying into too much of the hype?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
assuming it is fully modular as they advertise and that hardware upgrades could be released I'd probably buy into one simply to be a replacement for a dedicated gaming PC. If it were priced right it'd be more cost effective to buy this and a cheap laptop to do everyday work then try and build an over the top future proof gaming box and hope to hell it'll last at least 2-3 years.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

it is happening!!!!

you cannot stop GabeN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLM7o_EXt0

but why "steam piston?"

why not "steam valve?"

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
COOL. Interested, but in no way in the market :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
I'm still not sure about this.

I've seen Xi3's other computers and they appear to be workstations. Of course this is a little bit beefier but what are the clock speeds? $900 for a "gaming computer" that doesn't have a dedicated GPU?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post

but why "steam piston?"

why not "steam valve?"
A piston can use steam to do work... A valve just lets steam pass through, regulate its flow, or blocks it.

Valve (Parent company) controls the steam (Spin off service) that is pushed through to drive the piston (extra profit and drive).

As for the issue of the device's GPU and why it isn't a 'dedicated' card, well, why bother with an extra card and controls when it can be built into an existing modular card? Having a single large format expansion board that holds a well balanced amount of RAM with a suitable GPU build into a dedicated board (Or similar combinations of logically paried parts of a computer) makes sense when you are looking to produce a modular product that makes it easier for an end user to swap out parts.

No more "Which graphics card should I upgrade to?", but rather "Do I want the economy, gamer, extreme, or uber-ultra board?".
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
shoulda called it the "Reactor"

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

The price point needs to be pretty low to make a dent in the console market. Realize that companies don't make a lot on the console itself. The model is really "give them the console so we can sell them the games". If they can adopt a similar model then they have a shot. Otherwise, to me it's too "single purpose". That said, I'm not a console gamer and have no real desire to have more crap plugged into my TV.

Outside of desk space and HTPC stuff, I've never seen the advantage of plugging in any sort of PC into a TV. I always find it more usable to just sit closer to a smaller screen (actual monitor with higher resolution) and use a keyboard and mouse.

All of that said, if they do it properly I think it has a chance of success. The interesting thing about consoles or fixed hardware like this is there are some clear advantages. You don't have to deal with an infinite number of platform configurations / compatibility issues and can optimize software to run on this specific system.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Eh, it's a good idea, but you could probably build a small media-center PC with gamer leanings from off the shelf parts and have it be your entertainment center - surround sound system, blu-ray/DVD player, connection to Netflix and Hulu, and also play Steam on your big screen TV with their new Big Picture service. I'd much rather go that route than something like this or Ouya.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Eh, it's a good idea, but you could probably build a small media-center PC with gamer leanings from off the shelf parts and have it be your entertainment center - surround sound system, blu-ray/DVD player, connection to Netflix and Hulu, and also play Steam on your big screen TV with their new Big Picture service. I'd much rather go that route than something like this or Ouya.
but will it be enough to get consumers to abandon their existing system? xbox, ps3, etc already do some of the above, and anyone that cared would already own a blu ray player of some sort by now. those kids will have to buy a new system, and you can't sell the old steam games back to gamestop like you can on consoles.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in