mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Good lens for tourism?

I'm trying to decide on a good lens for when I travel but, also to round out my set.

I currently have a Sony Nex-5n and, I love it. To make it easier for other camera owners to participate I'll list my current lenses in their 35mm equivalency.

I've got the Kit lens with f/3.5-5.6, 27-82.5mm, and optical stabilization (OSS)
I've got a Telephoto zoom lens with f/4.5-6.3, 82-315mm Equiv

I'm considering a prime lens at around 50mm (Equivalency) as I've heard it's good for street photography and most of my tourism is in city centers, or museums, and occasionally, landscapes. A single lens would help me maintain mobility.

That leads me to two lenses:

A Sigma with F2.8, 54mm but, no OSS, at $199
A Sony with F1.8, 52.5mm with OSS, at $448

Are my thoughts sound?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
those sound like solid choices for street photography. depending on the lighting in the museums you might need the extra stop to avoid extremely high ISO's and noisy images or slow shutter speeds. personally I carry a 50mm 1.8 with me most of the time as a walk around lens though that'll probably change when my 40mm pancake 2.8 arrives. personally if it were me depending on the amount of traveling I'd be doing I'd split the difference and go with a cheaper lens and small external flash. Basically unless you're willing to lose a lens don't buy for a vacation or such. I find that's a good rule of thumb to follow. Another thing you may want to look at is how long the lenses are as if you have a shorter lens it may be easier to slip the NEX-5 into a pocket out of sight.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
I would go with the biggest Aperture(smallest F stop #) you can afford.

"Originally posted by Element Paintball@pbnation: you realize it would be easier to get a new wife than a new dc2."

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
those sound like solid choices for street photography. depending on the lighting in the museums you might need the extra stop to avoid extremely high ISO's and noisy images or slow shutter speeds. personally I carry a 50mm 1.8 with me most of the time as a walk around lens though that'll probably change when my 40mm pancake 2.8 arrives. personally if it were me depending on the amount of traveling I'd be doing I'd split the difference and go with a cheaper lens and small external flash. Basically unless you're willing to lose a lens don't buy for a vacation or such. I find that's a good rule of thumb to follow. Another thing you may want to look at is how long the lenses are as if you have a shorter lens it may be easier to slip the NEX-5 into a pocket out of sight.
Thanks. What tradeoffs would you be making by dropping to the 40mm pancake? I don't have a 40mm equivalent as my closest are the $1K Zeiss 36mm (f1.8), the ones I mentioned above.

There is a f2.8 24mm lens for $248 how would that one compare? I like the compactness as it brings the objective end of the lens to stick out only a little bit more than the grip area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
I would go with the biggest Aperture(smallest F stop #) you can afford.
Thanks! I was beginning to suspect as much simply just because that seems to be the major price differentiator.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
only compromise on the 40mm is the 2.8 aperture max as opposed to a 1.8 on the 50. With that said the 40 is useable wide open whereas a 50mm is just starting to get tack sharp at 2.8 and reaches peak sharpness around F4 in most cases. a 24mm 2.8 would compare it would just simply be a wider FOV. There are 28mm 2.8's as well but my main reasoning for getting the pancake was that it's tack sharp across the entire frame wide open has a short MFD and can get great bokeh when used as a macro lens or even doing portrait work where you want some background for contexe

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Thanks! I was beginning to suspect as much simply just because that seems to be the major price differentiator.
Ya bigger aperture(smaller f stop number) allows more light to come through. Which makes allows you take fast moving objects zoomed in or with lack of lighting.

I am not sure how Sony's F stop number works but I am more use to the Cannon Lens

I bought my dad a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L lens
Aperture Maximum: f/4
Aperture Minimum: f/22

"Originally posted by Element Paintball@pbnation: you realize it would be easier to get a new wife than a new dc2."

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

My go-to right now has been the 17-40.
Really enjoying it... now I am dying for a tripod :\

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

So, it looks like I'm back to the two 50ish lenses.

How important do you think the optical stabilization is for general tourism (street, museums and occasional landscapes)?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
So, it looks like I'm back to the two 50ish lenses.

How important do you think the optical stabilization is for general tourism (street, museums and occasional landscapes)?
OS or IS is useful when using slower shutter speeds or telephoto lenses
as the camera shake is noticeable
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

At that focal range, I don't think it's terribly important as long as you have decent lighting and a fast lens. On my 70-200 f2.8 IS II I can get a cleaner shot at 100mm without IS than I can with my 28-135 at 100mm with IS turned on just because of the amount of light coming into the lens.

For general shooting on a crop sensor camera, my favorite lens is around a 35mm. That's a really comfortable all around lens for anything from landscapes to portraits. The Sony 16-50 looks like a great choice for around $550, it's f2.8 constant which is very doable in low light situations and the focal range will work great with anything from landscape shots to portraits.

Hope that helps.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in