mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Pentax Q?

I don't suppose anybody has any experience with a Pentax Q series camera? I was looking into getting something better than my regular point and shoot without being too large, and I figured a compact camera like the Q would be perfect to be able to transport around.

This Q to be precise.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I've actually thought about buying a Q as a walk around camera with it's kit lens and maybe one other lens but I've also seen reviews and they were showing that the image quality is not anywhere near a DSLR but is much closer to a P&S. What I've looked at as a compromise would be a Nikon V1 or J1 as in the price range (at least it showed for me $349 as the link redirected to Newegg.ca for me) you could acquire a J1 or V1 if you got it on sale. Another option if you want something better than a P&S without being too large would be a used Canon rebel with the 40mm pancake and a 270 ex flash. ridiculously small package that will put the mirrorless cameras to shame. Part of the reason I actually decided to finally not bother with the Q or realistically any mirrorless system was the fact that if I take off my battery grip and run a pancake lens my XTi is basically the same size as the mirrorless options and I don't have to invest in a new lens system or deal with adapters. Another thing to note is that the lens selection for the Q is really tiny and most of the lenses aren't aimed at normal photos but more towards the creative side with toy lenses and fisheyes and stuff like that.

A recommendation I could make though very strongly as I've used one before is a Canon powershot G11. It does look like a P&S on the surface but offers a lot of DSLR like features in a small package. it can manual focus if you like has aperture priority/shutter priority as well as full manual modes, has all the creative modes as well, adjustable iso, can take external flashes etc it just has a fixed lens and looks like a P&S when shooting which if you're going to shoot an event or do street photos might not be a bad thing. Just food for thought.

sorry if I rambled I just had a lot of different thoughts on the subject depending on your viewpoint

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.

Last edited by Falcon16; 01-09-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Yeah, I'm not really "into" photography per se, but I'm curious about it so I figured that at the Q's price ($250 USD w/coupon) I wouldn't be out too much money if I decide I don't like it. I'm also not too worried about lenses since I'd only be doing basic shots with nothing too fancy. Maybe take some early morning shots with the snow and some stuff during the spring on campus since the University of Maine is kinda pretty.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
alright well if it's just an experiment to see if you like photography not a bad buy at all. Nice thing I'll admit is if you find you like it there are lenses that do all sorts of creative things on the Q system even if the selection isn't huge there are zooms,primes,toy lenses etc. Personally though for $250 I'd go for a used DSLR like a Canon XTi or Nikon D40 or D60 and a decent lens it'd hold it's value better if you decide to sell as the market for mirrorless isn't huge on resale. It also means if you decide you like it you have a HUGE lens selection rather than having to sell it all to buy into a standard system.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in