mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   What's your opinion Skype/MSN merger (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/223424-whats-your-opinion-skype-msn-merger.html)

Falcon16 01-13-2013 05:12 PM

What's your opinion Skype/MSN merger

So i figured I can't be the only person stewing over this. Who else has a strong opinion one way or the other on the Windows Live Messenger/Skype merger? Who else has an opinion on the fact you won't be able to use a standalone WLM client come March 15 but will instead have to merge your msn and skype contacts into one account?

I for one think this is the wrong way to go about it and personally I'll still use messenger but I'm SINCERELY hoping M$ at least integrates a lot of the features from WLM into Skype in the near future. My biggest pet peeve is that I spent time and energy organizing my contacts into groups which once they are imported into Skype are no longer represented:bang:. Only saving grace I can see from this is install 1 program for 2 services instead of multiple program installs which I don't mind but I LIKED the OLD WLM interface a lot better.

So what's your opinion MCB?

chrislognshot 01-13-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon16 (Post 2591670)
So i figured I can't be the only person stewing over this. Who else has a strong opinion one way or the other on the Windows Live Messenger/Skype merger? Who else has an opinion on the fact you won't be able to use a standalone WLM client come March 15 but will instead have to merge your msn and skype contacts into one account?

I for one think this is the wrong way to go about it and personally I'll still use messenger but I'm SINCERELY hoping M$ at least integrates a lot of the features from WLM into Skype in the near future. My biggest pet peeve is that I spent time and energy organizing my contacts into groups which once they are imported into Skype are no longer represented:bang:. Only saving grace I can see from this is install 1 program for 2 services instead of multiple program installs which I don't mind but I LIKED the OLD WLM interface a lot better.

So what's your opinion MCB?

not sure if you hear this or not but mircosoft is going to drop msn messager and just keep skype going.

Falcon16 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

I know that that's exactly what they're doing! That's my point! making it so that you HAVE to integrate your MSN messenger contacts into your skype. I personally think that using the skype interface to do it all is silly especially when I've spent a lot of time organizing contacts into groups that now after the merger will no longer be properly showing up. It just lumps all the contacts into one big list for messenger.

Luckless 01-14-2013 10:19 AM

My solution has been to switch over to Google Talk and Facebook Messenger for most of my needs. I still check MSN and Skype now and then, but I've convinced most of my contacts to switch over.

nerdcore 01-15-2013 02:15 AM

I've only used skype for vid calls, and even that's a rarity. I try to steer clear from MS-brand software as much as i can.

tiny 01-15-2013 02:19 AM

People still use msn messenger?

JLuke 01-16-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny (Post 2593294)
People still use msn messenger?

Yea i was kinda thinking the same, Msn messenger always was kinda wonky and unstable for me, would randomly not connect, randomly not show my contacts for days on end. This was also over two different computers and my phone.

Skype seems to be a bit more stable, has been my main online messager for a while.

Deuce 01-16-2013 01:46 PM

I have several MSN accounts, haven't used MSN messenger in years. I also have a Skype account. I do use that for gaming. I haven't been following the merger much. All I know is if it forces me to begin using my MSN info to login instead of my Skype info, I'll just quit using it altogether.

HyperU2 01-16-2013 02:22 PM

I voted for the "screw them both" option, but not because I use them.

Kermit 01-16-2013 02:28 PM

MSN messenger was a huge piece of crap. I never got it to work right.

Skype is pretty cool, though.