mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Computer Imaging help needed

I am finally getting new machines for my classroom. The current ones are old (several do not work) running XP, and office '03. They crash if you open firefox. They might as well be made from wood. My options were to have the tech dept. put in new computers, and they would handle all of the software (they'd put on xp) and the computers would be dual core referbs. But, being the ever clever person, I offered to build them myself to save money and get something a little more future proof (since it will be another 10 years until I get new ones again). The catch: I have to put on all the software myself.

So here is my problem: our current district software cannot handle windows 7 for imaging, meaning I would have to install every program on every computer...which would take many many hours. Do you guys know of any good software, that is relatively inexpensive that I could use to carry one computer image to another? It doesn't have to be network software, I could do a disk on each PC. Thank you in advance.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

This is what we use at work Computer Imaging Software & Windows Migration Software | Symantec. Works well

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I just did some Win 7 laptops using Windows AIK. You'll need a blank CD, external hard drive and a Windows 7 install CD.

Here is a good video that gives you step-by-step instructions:

Create Answer File, Windows AIK Demo | Deploy Windows 7 | TechNet

You'll need to download WAIK form here:

Download Windows® AIK for Windows® 7 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Once you install WAIK on win 7 machine you'll need to create an answer file. Believe me it's easier than you think just follow the video.

After you have your answer file, you'll need to install Win 7 on a reference machine. This will be the machine that you slap on whatever software you need that will be on each of the clones.

Once you're reference machine is all set then you'll capture the image using a winpe disk, which is also described in the video link I gave you. (There are 5 videos, the link to each video is at the bottom of the page, with each being 2 minutes long) The captured image will be copied to a hard drive instead of a network share.

After that, you'll boot using the winpe disk then slap on your image and you're done.

The best part is that the Windows AIK is free and won't cost you anything if you already have an external hard drive.

Follow the video step-by-step and you'll be golden. It's really easy to do.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

You, sir, are a saint.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

By the way when you get to the point of applying the image using imagex and it barks about not finding the temp path "\blah\blah\c" then change the 'C' in your imagex command argument to 'C:\' without the quotes.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Will do. I am going to order parts on Friday, so the imaging will most likely happen 2 weeks after. Thank you so much, rdogx78

I bet that symantec stuff is nice, Grendal, but it would cost $1k for my lab (and I don't have that kind of budget). Maybe I can talk to the Superintendent about that for a future purchase, next time we get a grant.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
5 Free Apps to Clone Your Hard Drive

btw I used Clonezilla before http://clonezilla.org/

Most of these software utility has a Open Source version.

"Originally posted by Element Paintball@pbnation: you realize it would be easier to get a new wife than a new dc2."

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in