mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
That makes about as much sense as saying "The next person we catch doing 1 or more miles per hour over the speed limit, we are going to put them in jail for 5 years and fine them a quarter of a million dollars to make an example of them so that nobody will ever speed on public roads again.

Making an example of someone over an overly henious crime is one thing, but for something fairly minute the punishment needs to be a bit more fair. If not 1k dollars, then 10k dollars, whatever it takes, but just jumping to that long of prison time and that amount of money just isn't fair. I'm in no way trying to take sides with the guy, but not all "bad" people are bad. Also it particularly bugs me because this seems more of a problem because of the type of vehicle he was shining it at. Now if this guy was just shining a lazer at a civilan car or civilan helicopter or news helicopter i doubt the possible punishment would have been so severe.
Slight speeding can be done subconciously, shining a laser at an aircraft however, is PREMEDITATED. He heard the helicopter and then made the decision to get his laser and shine it at the helicopter.

Also, people rarely get the maximum penalty for incidents like this. The max is more of a deterrent imo.

I've seen it taken this just as seriously when someone does it to a commercial airliner, the police helicopter just makes it eaiser due to the surveillance equipment...

Not to mention civilian aircraft would have to contact pd through dispatch, greatly slowing down response time. It doesn't take long for someone to disappear back into their house. Also most civilan aircraft don't have the extensive camera equipment to record the incident, or the ability to quickly direct officers on the ground to the location.

Also, it's much more risky for aircraft to be blinded than a car. Cars can simply stop, helicopters other the other hand don't have '"auto pilot" or the ability to blindly stop anywhere.

Last edited by PBRevolution; 01-31-2013 at 08:51 PM.
PBRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
He shouldn't have done it, but i don't think the punishment fits the crime. "The intensity of the light obscured the vision of the pilot and impaired the pilot’s ability to control the aircraft." I wish they wouldn't blow this out of proportion. Why not just say "some dumbass was shining a lazer at our helicopter so we slapped him with a 1k dollar fine and he'll most likely never do it again."
What this person was doing was threatening multiple lives.
Since no one was hurt, he should serve only a 5 year jail sentence.

He should also appear on TV multiple times, before, during incarceration, and after release, to remind people of what happens when you "just fool around" with other people's lives.
They should really break him, and make him an example to all the others who perform such "harmless pranks".

Good link from one of the first comments:
Laser Pointer Safety - NEVER aim laser pointers at aircraft

There's too much stupidity in the states - harsh lessons are important to keep the Darwin award candidates under control.

Last edited by Tenet; 02-01-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Quote:
He shouldn't have done it, but i don't think the punishment fits the crime. "The intensity of the light obscured the vision of the pilot and impaired the pilot’s ability to control the aircraft." I wish they wouldn't blow this out of proportion. Why not just say "some dumbass was shining a lazer at our helicopter so we slapped him with a 1k dollar fine and he'll most likely never do it again."
Maybe read up on the subject matter before making assumptions? I took one of those tacticool laser sights to the eyes under a tinted visor on my motorcycle last summer, had to pull over and wait about 10-15 for my vision to clear back up enough that I could ride again on the road. Getting off the road took a combination of experience and waiting to feel gravel while hoping for the best
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.

Last edited by StJimmy666; 01-31-2013 at 11:21 PM.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

The 1W lasers that are now commercially available are frightening. I don't think it can be overstated how dangerous these things are to unprotected eyes at any distance short of the edge of space. We're talking instant, permanent blindness, not temporary dazzling.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

i think the problem is the general consumers cannot comprehend just how powerful their lasers are.

"ppffft, this laser can't really blind a pilot, can it? he's so far away what's the worst that can happen?"
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i think the problem is the general consumers cannot comprehend just how powerful their lasers are.

"ppffft, this laser can't really blind a pilot, can it? he's so far away what's the worst that can happen?"

That's it right there.

I'm afraid many people think it's that same tiny dot that they see on the ground. From rougly a 50yds away, a red laser light was hitting a screen at a drive-in I was at a couple years ago. With all things cosidered for scale, I'd estimate that dot was the size of a volleyball. I'd imagine that the dot is no longer a dot at a mile in the sky. Plus, I've read that the green lasers are much more dangerous than the red lasers due to the filtering or something; that talk turned into cryptic Mandarin quick, but I believe I learned what was necessary. People do some dumb stuff when acting on assumptions and ignorance.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:

Definitely agree here. Its the same way how ppl inexperienced with paintball guns think of them as toys.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:

that's why i said make an example out of people. more people where made example out of less people will want to do the crime. many people seeing slap on wrist going easy on someone. and they will think they can get away with it too. we have to many people that will go out and try to copy cap what they see or hear on tv radio or in public. if they see they go hard on people for doing the same thing they will think about if they want to do it or not. we live with people that love to abuse stuff just because they can or want to see what they can get away with. that main reason we are having tougher laws being made or people want gov to other organization wanting stuff to be made tougher on people or items.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to voodooballer

Facebook

dunno if his stuff is private or not... This is my team owner. He does astronomy and has a laser pointer on his telescope. On multiple occasions he's had police helicopters visit him on the roof of his Apt in the bronx bc of "potential RPG or destructive device" This was just one of the incidents where a police chopper came to investigate.
voodooballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooballer View Post
Facebook

dunno if his stuff is private or not... This is my team owner. He does astronomy and has a laser pointer on his telescope. On multiple occasions he's had police helicopters visit him on the roof of his Apt in the bronx bc of "potential RPG or destructive device" This was just one of the incidents where a police chopper came to investigate.
That link doesn't work unless we're friends with your team owner...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in