mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Guy Shoots Laser Pointer At Helicopter & Gets Arrested (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/224881-guy-shoots-laser-pointer-helicopter-gets-arrested.html)

Moses688 01-30-2013 11:01 AM

Guy Shoots Laser Pointer At Helicopter & Gets Arrested

Hi All,

This is the first time I've seen a video of someone shooting a laser at an aircraft, figured I'd share it.

man-arrested-for-aiming-laser-pointer-at-dallas-pds-helicopter

I do have to insert my opinion here, this is one of the dumbest things you could do short of shooting a projectile at an aircraft.

Thanks,
Moses

PoisonMarket 01-30-2013 11:09 AM

What really makes my blood boil is that a lot of the green laser jokesters target ambulances and public airliners. I mean, WTF². So you cause an ambulance to crash, possibly hurting quite a few people right then and there, and also cost the area an ambulance which can really have devastating ripple effects.

I've seen numbskulled things before, but this green laser stuff is a whole new tier of WTF.

JLuke 01-30-2013 11:32 AM

He shouldn't have done it, but i don't think the punishment fits the crime. "The intensity of the light obscured the vision of the pilot and impaired the pilot’s ability to control the aircraft." I wish they wouldn't blow this out of proportion. Why not just say "some dumbass was shining a lazer at our helicopter so we slapped him with a 1k dollar fine and he'll most likely never do it again."

Dr. VonDeafingson 01-30-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 2608807)
He shouldn't have done it, but i don't think the punishment fits the crime. "The intensity of the light obscured the vision of the pilot and impaired the pilot’s ability to control the aircraft." I wish they wouldn't blow this out of proportion. Why not just say "some dumbass was shining a lazer at our helicopter so we slapped him with a 1k dollar fine and he'll most likely never do it again."

Because that would make sense.

Moses688 01-30-2013 01:23 PM

Anything higher than class 3b is able to blind someone with a direct hit, if this was one of those jail time is probably appropriate.

Jebus 01-30-2013 01:33 PM

Happened here at the airport, and the police 'copter too...they caught one of the guys - can't find the video

Arson24 01-30-2013 02:59 PM

happened a few times out here in B.C

and even at one of our hockey games......just dumb people doing dumb things
its a direct line back to you...

808raoul 01-30-2013 03:05 PM

Something like this just happened yesterday here. A Coast Guard C-130 had to return right after take-off. the co-pilot had his vision compromised by a laser, in the report they said if one crew member loses vision they must return to base.

maggot 01-30-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 2608807)

You have understand that at that distance the laser has fanned out and is much wider. It completely fills the dark, night-time cockpit with blinding green light.
I don't think they blew it out of proportion.

PBRevolution 01-30-2013 04:02 PM

Prison time seems like a much better deterrent than a little fine.