mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   New Metal Gear game (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/226951-new-metal-gear-game.html)

JLuke 02-22-2013 12:12 PM

New Metal Gear game

Anyone else playing it atm? I'm actually rather liking it, it's a complete spinoff away from the main game basically. It feels like what RE4 was to the entire series up to that point.

It's painfully fun slicing enemies up so accurately and throuroughly, specially when the game counts how many pieces your target has been cut up into.

For example hit one group of 3 enemies and did the blade time move which slows time, sliced each person's arms and legs off then torsos in half which allowed me to rip out each spine and extract the fluids (it's the health system, cut through a weak spot and rip out the spine to extract the electrolytes and such), all of this which happened with enemies still in mid jump. The game looks to be rather short, but it is fun.

Oh and also, it's fun how some enemies you can cut off their arms and legs and they keep trying to headbutt you and attack, makes me think of the black knight every time.

PS, I kinda thought Raiden was a puss in MGS2, but he's pretty legit badass in this one, kinda redeemed the character somewhat. Specially around the 2nd or 3rd chapter.

And on a side note, PLEASE would someone make this dude's sword.

http://www.enizr.com/games/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-samuel-concept-art.aspx#prettyPhoto[gallery1]/6/

Donut SD 02-22-2013 12:29 PM

Ripper mode. Cool. Yup I picked this up. I gotta complain that it's rather frustrating there's no dedicated block maneuver. And that there are some attacks you absolutely cannot parry.

Enemies can drive you into a corner and just beat the smack outta you for extended periods and there's really nothing you can do.

Other than that it's like you said, a complete departure from how the series handles. It's good but not the best, the stealth aspect was almost added as an afterthought. Or at least it feels that way. I would've been happy if it stayed "in your face hack n slash" without the stealth.

Occasionally the camera is frustrating as I can't keep all or most enemies in frame.

All of my gripes aside there are so many moments that had me yelling joyfully in my gamerzone taking down baddies. Mgs has some pretty large set pieces and its always cool taking them down with advanced weaponry. But doing it with Raiden's blade alone? Hoooleeeee shiiiiiyyyyeeettt it's fun!

I wasn't a fan of the whiny-ness that quinton Flynn portrayed, but man he brings some drama to the voice acting now.

JLuke 02-22-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut SD (Post 2632635)
Ripper mode. Cool. Yup I picked this up. I gotta complain that it's rather frustrating there's no dedicated block maneuver. And that there are some attacks you absolutely cannot parry.

Enemies can drive you into a corner and just beat the smack outta you for extended periods and there's really nothing you can do.

Other than that it's like you said, a complete departure from how the series handles. It's good but not the best, the stealth aspect was almost added as an afterthought. Or at least it feels that way. I would've been happy if it stayed "in your face hack n slash" without the stealth.

Occasionally the camera is frustrating as I can't keep all or most enemies in frame.

All of my gripes aside there are so many moments that had me yelling joyfully in my gamerzone taking down baddies. Mgs has some pretty large set pieces and its always cool taking them down with advanced weaponry. But doing it with Raiden's blade alone? Hoooleeeee shiiiiiyyyyeeettt it's fun!

I wasn't a fan of the whiny-ness that quinton Flynn portrayed, but man he brings some drama to the voice acting now.

The no block thing at the beginning kinda bugged me, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. It gives the game more of an offensive, rage induced rush forward feel when you can only parry and counterattack quickly, once you get the parry somewhat down, and remember that red glowing attacks can be blocked but gold ones cannot, it's more fun.

And yea, i'm playing this game with pretty much no stealth involved, its way more fun that way since "stealth" in this game involves taking the long path around groups of enemies instead of trying to steathfully move between them and lure them here and there to get silent kills and such, and very disappoint that the bodies just disappear.

Donut SD 02-22-2013 02:07 PM

I'm so used to the rest of the series where your footsteps can give you away. Now you can ninja run right behind a cyborg and they're none the wiser lol. The parry thing I couldn't get the hang of until I faced monsoon. Then it all made sense haha.

But I gotta say again the huge amounts of explosions and in yer face action sequences appeal to the action hero in me :). I got the preorder bonus and have the Gray Fox ninja outfit, I'm now playing out what I always wanted since metal gear solid (ps1), to be the badass cyborg ninja!

heinous 02-22-2013 02:11 PM

he still wears high heels

JLuke 02-22-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut SD (Post 2632729)
I'm so used to the rest of the series where your footsteps can give you away. Now you can ninja run right behind a cyborg and they're none the wiser lol. The parry thing I couldn't get the hang of until I faced monsoon. Then it all made sense haha.

But I gotta say again the huge amounts of explosions and in yer face action sequences appeal to the action hero in me :). I got the preorder bonus and have the Gray Fox ninja outfit, I'm now playing out what I always wanted since metal gear solid (ps1), to be the badass cyborg ninja!

Yea, i Didnt want to ruin it for anyone, but monsoon is where you WILL learn to parry and do it very well, or get your *** handed to you every time.

and ugh, i knew i missed something by not preordering it, i sware i need to stop buying games on release day without tossing down a preorder.

Donut SD 02-22-2013 07:20 PM

The dlc definitely makes the fanboy happy. It's not an instant unlock, still gotta use the game's point system to purchase it from the upgrade menu.

What would complete it for me is if Olga's cyborg outfit is in there. Her gray fox "color way" was awesome.

Kmak 03-02-2013 06:23 PM

I need my stealth fix. As unique as this looks, I think I will pass.