mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Ive noticed YouTube throttles down videos embedded in other sites. It will be buffering like crazy then when you watch the same video on YouTube it plays fine. I can't confirm this other then by observation but I strongly suspect its true.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

i get it at times when i change setting to 1080p it does not play all way threw. for some reason it lags all time where have to buff every so often.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Barned

Am I the only one who notices that it takes a tiny tiny fraction of the time to buffer an ad, but forever to buffer videos? I also notice that while videos that have less views, eg. Gmore70's channel take tons of time to buffer, Videos from large channels that basically make a living off youtube [smosh, raywilliamjohnson, ect.] take much less. I might sound crazy for saying this, but it might be youtube pushing you to watch more popular videos in order to generate money. Or I might just be crazy. My internet is fine though, it's pretty fast.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
Am I the only one who notices that it takes a tiny tiny fraction of the time to buffer an ad, but forever to buffer videos? I also notice that while videos that have less views, eg. Gmore70's channel take tons of time to buffer, Videos from large channels that basically make a living off youtube [smosh, raywilliamjohnson, ect.] take much less. I might sound crazy for saying this, but it might be youtube pushing you to watch more popular videos in order to generate money. Or I might just be crazy. My internet is fine though, it's pretty fast.
Or it might be that Google treats YT videos the same way it rates your search results. Most popular get priority the same way they get a higher search ranking.

I've noticed it a lot too though. Only recently, both at work and at home, high speed connections at both places..

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i also noticed that, even while paused, the buffering stops after reaching a reasonable distance from the playhead. this is new. it used to be, i could pause a video and wait for it to load completely.
I've noticed this as well. Used to be able to pause right when the page loads, wait a minute or two, and the whole thing would be buffered. Now it buffers a little and waits for me to watch.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
I've noticed this as well. Used to be able to pause right when the page loads, wait a minute or two, and the whole thing would be buffered. Now it buffers a little and waits for me to watch.
With the slow buffering this combination is rather annoying. I know why they are doing the incomplete download, but it used to be pretty convenient to pause something from the start and wait for the whole thing to DL and watch without a blip.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
With the slow buffering this combination is rather annoying. I know why they are doing the incomplete download, but it used to be pretty convenient to pause something from the start and wait for the whole thing to DL and watch without a blip.
This has been going on for a couple months now. Which is why I enabled "Slow Connection? Never Play High-Quality Video" and then just click my desired resolution if it's something that HD matters on. It basically turns on buffering.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in