mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbon View Post
Best to hold off for now. Pre-ordered and downloaded 12 hours ago, and still haven't been able to play. It will probaly be at least a week before EA gets it all sorted out. It's a mess right now with server issues, bugs, etc.
even if the servers work you can only still play them for 2 years before EA shuts them down forever
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
Don't you need other players as well? So even without the constant connection, you need to sharing your game with other players correct? At least that's the impression I got from Kotaku's preview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbon View Post
Best to hold off for now. Pre-ordered and downloaded 12 hours ago, and still haven't been able to play. It will probaly be at least a week before EA gets it all sorted out. It's a mess right now with server issues, bugs, etc.
i got on and played a bit no problem this afternoon.. this evening is a whole different story

you dont HAVE to play with other people. but it makes things go alot better when you have people to ink deals with

the servers are a mess this evening though.. semmes to be pretty standard with any game EA launches.. BF3 was bad too, i tried all day to get onto a game for more than a minute,, and couldnt, came back to it later, and it was fixed

all major companies are seeming to have these issues.. blizzard with the launches of SC2 and diablo 3, every EA game ever, im sure there is opening day nightmares for ever major game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
even if the servers work you can only still play them for 2 years before EA shuts them down forever
cool yer hackles there,, all of the servers they are shutting down are related to sports franchise games that have annual releases "hey man wanna play some madden 2011? im tired of 2013" said no gamer (who plays sports games on a console).. ever..
the only one thats popular on that list is the sims 2. and that one has been around for 8 1/2 years.. the sims 3 is over 5 years old.

they dont shut down servers for games people still play.. im sure it will bum out the 6 people still playing FIFA 2011, but the whole of the gaming world wont care, because they have already moved on to bigger and better

yes EA makes enough money to have a room full of legacy servers (one for each game they have made) to allow for future replay-ability. but like every other company in the world, they are in the business of making money, and paying money to maintain a rack of servers that 100 or so people use a year. ISNT making money

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 03-06-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

then there is this

heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
right.. because im sure Diablo 3 also didnt get slammed from the people whining about the log in issues and every other complaint they had about the game.

the internet is a seething pile of hate, and if you believe everything everyone types into a message board, your not going to be playing much.. im sure there are people who slam the Xbox and the PS3 because an internet connection is also (pretty much) required to get the full enjoyment out of everything

so because the game is one day old, and everyone has logged into metacritic to vent makes it a bad game already?

Trackers feedback
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Got excited that a new Simcity is out, then seen the internet only thing. Lost interest afterwards; I don't have an internet connection at work/camp, the only time I really play games.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
i agree that the DRM thing is bull.. but, i dont game when im mobile, and my computer that is capale of playing the game is hooked to the internet 24/7 anyways.. so i would be protesting the loss of something thats already been made a non-issue

its definitly designed to be a "pick up and play" kind of game
I don't even care about the DRM, I've gotten used to pc games treating users like criminals, my problem is that I live out in the country and my internet access is a 3G connection so I'm basically using a cellphone data plan when I'm online. The charges above my cap are insane and while the access itself is usually good random dropped connections and very low speeds aren't uncommon when the weather sucks. I could probably write a novel about my mixed feelings on forcing multiplayer onto a franchise that has survived decades as a great single-player experience but I think every Simcity fan has the same mixed feeling.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

My only issue with the "always on" requirement that a lot of AAA games are going to these days, is that they never seem to accurately predict the popularity of their games, so the first week the servers are backed up, overloaded, and crashing constantly. Not a really great experience to pay big money for the game and not be able to fully enjoy it for a week or more.

Of course, I never buy new games right out of the blocks for full price (okay, there was that one time, and it didn't live up to ANY of the hype, so never again!), so really, it's a moot point. I still laugh when things like the Diablo 3 launch and hear nothing but "servers are down! {expletive deleted}!" reports the first week or two.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
I don't even care about the DRM, I've gotten used to pc games treating users like criminals, my problem is that I live out in the country and my internet access is a 3G connection so I'm basically using a cellphone data plan when I'm online. The charges above my cap are insane and while the access itself is usually good random dropped connections and very low speeds aren't uncommon when the weather sucks. I could probably write a novel about my mixed feelings on forcing multiplayer onto a franchise that has survived decades as a great single-player experience but I think every Simcity fan has the same mixed feeling.
yeah, i could understand how that would be a pain.. honestly with as much heat as they have gotten over the always on thing, you think they would have figured something out.. maybe some day.. if the game is popular enough, EA has been known to update a game to the point it feels like a whole new game (masseffect3 multiplayer, burnout paradise, BF3) it seems like once a game reaches a certain point in sales, EA then starts to act like they care

Trackers feedback
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
right.. because im sure Diablo 3 also didnt get slammed from the people whining about the log in issues and every other complaint they had about the game.

the internet is a seething pile of hate, and if you believe everything everyone types into a message board, your not going to be playing much.. im sure there are people who slam the Xbox and the PS3 because an internet connection is also (pretty much) required to get the full enjoyment out of everything

so because the game is one day old, and everyone has logged into metacritic to vent makes it a bad game already?
Diablo3 was/is a horrible game regardless of the log in issues.
But the point Heinous is making, i believe, is that once again, EA bought favorable score in reviews.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well I caved and bought it this afternoon. I just got home from work and was hoping to get in a few minutes with the game before I have to head back out to meet with a client. Unfortunately all the game is doing is downloading two seemingly massive updates so maybe it will be done by the time I get home tonight.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in