mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Diablo3 was/is a horrible game regardless of the log in issues.
But the point Heinous is making, i believe, is that once again, EA bought favorable score in reviews.
perhaps.. i wouldnt put it past them.. but without any proof. they could have just been reviewing the game based on the potential of what it SHOULD be. seeing as how they get to play the games ahead of time, and they get to play it for how it should be. "okay guys, the reviewers have the game now.. we have got to have everything perfect on the servers next week" sounds like a pretty reasonable thing to hear

i know when i was in the military we heard "the general might be coming by some time this week, clean those boot marks off the door" alot

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
perhaps.. i wouldnt put it past them.. but without any proof. they could have just been reviewing the game based on the potential of what it SHOULD be. seeing as how they get to play the games ahead of time, and they get to play it for how it should be. "okay guys, the reviewers have the game now.. we have got to have everything perfect on the servers next week" sounds like a pretty reasonable thing to hear
to be fair, you don't have any proof either.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

i know when i was in the military we heard "the general might be coming by some time this week, clean those boot marks off the door" alot

Tracker
Those "pre reviews" have been criticized for a number of years already, especially when it comes to games that have a significant online portion, and fail in that portion, when released. That caused and continue to cause significant damage to credibility of those "pre reviews". I dont know if you remember, but back then, when WoW was first released, it didnt have glowing "pre reviews" specifically because there were issues with servers during the open beta. Those reviews were corrected a few months later, when the issues were fixed. Curiously SimCity's beta players did warn of encountered server issues.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
not soon enough!

Anno 2070 is where it's at... I kinda feel like the new Simcity is a step backwards in city building/economic simulation, and it sounds like people aren't happy with the constraints. Big fan of the originals (and many Maxis games), will hold off until they "fix" it.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

I bought it because I saw a coworker playing, and I've been a big fan of the 'Sim' series in general. (Remember SimAnt? Great game. I miss it.)

Very sorry I wasted my money on it. Major step backwards, and horrible design for networking. Why, WHY on earth would they go full online in that way? Server down? You're screwed. Would have been so easy to allow you to continue using your local data and resync when you got connected again. No excuse for it.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
I bought it because I saw a coworker playing, and I've been a big fan of the 'Sim' series in general. (Remember SimAnt? Great game. I miss it.)

Very sorry I wasted my money on it. Major step backwards, and horrible design for networking. Why, WHY on earth would they go full online in that way? Server down? You're screwed. Would have been so easy to allow you to continue using your local data and resync when you got connected again. No excuse for it.
It's all about anti-piracy. with constant connecting there's almost no easy way to pirate it. Remember Spore? At least it's better than what they did.

If you had a system that never connected the the internet, you could pirate it is fairly easily with your idea of doing things.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
It's all about anti-piracy. with constant connecting there's almost no easy way to pirate it. Remember Spore? At least it's better than what they did.

If you had a system that never connected the the internet, you could pirate it is fairly easily with your idea of doing things.
Yeah, because there is NO WAY someone could reverse engineer a server interface for a major game such that they can bypass the official server and run their own 'copy' of it...

Oh wait, aren't there 'private' servers for World of Warcraft?

There is no valid reason why when the servers went down last night that I could not have kept playing. I'm already aware of at least three projects to break SimCity's communication protocol and replace it with a custom server that the users can control. And I'm considering toying with it myself. (It is actually potentially easier to break a call home server instead of cracking a traditional game. You aren't required to modify the game itself, only sit there and intercept its network data for awhile until you have enough information to begin constructing your own version.)

I have no issues with call home and sensible DRM. I have major issues with badly done ham-fisted attempts at a foolish idea.

Want to 'defeat' the pirates? Offer player more and better services than the pirates can!
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
With a game like Simcity, requiring an internet connection seems to me like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Ah, nostalgia. I really miss the golden age of PC gaming....

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
to be fair, you don't have any proof either.
your right, i don't, but i also wasn't insinuating that they paid for their ratings, i was agreeing with you though, that its entirely plausable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Want to 'defeat' the pirates? Offer player more and better services than the pirates can!
yeah, but that model can be applied to a lot of things that its not.. cable TV and internet come to mind.. with examples like THAT to follow, why should they even try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
With a game like Simcity, requiring an internet connection seems to me like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Ah, nostalgia. I really miss the golden age of PC gaming....
yeah, and the saddest part of it all? thanks to windows and all of its "improvements" over the years, most of those games wont even run anymore on a modern PC.. thats truly the biggest tragedy of it all

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Many of the great old games do work on modern PCs and can be purchased from Gog.com. I wouldn't blame Windows for the problems anyway the golden age of pc gaming was pre-Windows and getting games to run wasn't always a simple process and before everyone had internet there was a lot of trial and error on the way to learning. Many games that ran in earlier versions of Windows will still work on Windows there is a lot backwards compatibility built into it.

Anyway the DRM on Simcity is a totally different cock up I don't expect an 18 year old game to work on a new computer but if I wanted I could pick up an 18 year old computer for a vintage gaming rig. I have a modern computer and I can't play a modern game I legally bought because EA thinks I'm a crimminal so what is the true tradgedy?
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in