mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Anyone really good with home networks? Need to restrict access to a shared folder

So I have a house with multiple roommates, one of which has a kid. So we got 3 desktops, two laptops, 3 tablets, a netbook, and assorted other dodads all connected to a wireless router. To make it easier to swap files around, handle printer duty, and of course run a minecraft server (sorry folks, in house players only) I just added another desktop to act as a more dedicated server I named it Jarvis. Need to copy some files to another roommates computer, but he's not home, his computer is off, and you won't be home when he is, no prob, send it to Jarvis and he can copy it later.

Now the issue is that we got a minor in the house. Some files that might be on Jarvis may not be appropriate for her, while others are specifically for her. So I want to setup a password or user name protected file on Jarvis for all the Not Safe For Little Girl stuff to go. Anyone ever do something like this?

Jarvis is running XP Pro (old free machine from work and don't want to spend any money on it to upgrade), and all the other PCs are running Vista or Windows 7.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
you could simply map network drives and make it that the mapped drive on the minor's computer has only thing that are kid appropriate.

Feedback +36/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
you could simply map network drives and make it that the mapped drive on the minor's computer has only thing that are kid appropriate.
That has some potential. I know how to map a network drive to a shared folder on a computer, but that leaves the folder still visible under Network Places (which the minor is familiar with).

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
That has some potential. I know how to map a network drive to a shared folder on a computer, but that leaves the folder still visible under Network Places (which the minor is familiar with).

they won't be visible if you put a $ at the end of the share name. but, to be sure, that's only hiding the data, not securing it.

XP allows you to password-protect files and folders, but it's not high-grade protection. personally, if i needed to do this, i'd put the "unsafe" content into an encrypted volume (trucrypt is great for this type of thing) with a strong password and make sure that all of the "adults" DID NOT WRITE THAT PASSWORD DOWN ANYWHERE!

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

Replace XP with a nas4free install

Simple to do and can run an iTunes server etc as well

Easy to password protect shares
Feedback
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a netgear readyNAS+ (got it from work) but have used nas4free and it is what I would recommend.
Blue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

With Windows networks it can be kind of a pain to do this. But, I've done similar in the past. I switched over to windows home server a few years ago to make this sort of thing more convenient. It's been some time so, I'll try my best to describe the process. Here's a link to the KB Article.

Here's the details not quite laid out in the KB.

You must know the computer name for each system that will connect to Jarvis (for file sharing purposes).

Each user must have a username and password, and these must be the same for the user's computer (i.e the laptop) and on Jarvis (assuming they will access Jarvis).

Then, on Jarvis, you have to disable Simple File Sharing (in the KB).

Then, you need to set the permissions for the folder on Jarvis (in KB) but, when it comes to add users you need to specify their machine name as part of their username. Something like machine/user. This only needs to be done for users connecting to the folder on Jarvis. Anyone not on the list shouldn't be able to access it.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
You must know the computer name for each system that will connect to Jarvis (for file sharing purposes).

Each user must have a username and password, and these must be the same for the user's computer (i.e the laptop) and on Jarvis (assuming they will access Jarvis).
I've started a setup like this off another guide but had to put it off for a while while I fix another issue (one of the desktops needs a windows 7 reinstall), though one problem may be that most of the desktops don't have a specific username and password, usually just the default admin user with no password.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in