mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
buying a gaming laptop. any suggestions?

heres the deal, getting a new job, and would like something that can do my bidding.. im not looking for a replacement of my desktop, but a suitable enough stand in when im bored on the road

these are the things i know i want, 15.6 inch or smaller. thats the maximum size my backpack can handle.. also i find 17.3 to be a bit too much... everything

a NICE (1080p) Screen.. im so tired of evey windows laptop (10.3-17.3") having the same 1366x768 resolution.. yet we can make a 5 inch phone thats 1080P and sells for less than a laptop, im willing to go 1600x900 on a 14 inch, but thats about it

as said before something "capable" at running games like simcity.. diablo 3, maybe even some FPS.. (older stuff that ive never gotten around to playing or beating)

i would also like something that looks a bit more.. current if i wanted a typical gaming laptop, i would buy some asus ROG behemoth .. but computers that look like THAT, are exactly the kind im trying to avoid.. with the advent of modern ultrabooks, i know they have better manufacturing techniques then seeing what they can stick in the same chassis they have been using for the last 5 years

so far, i have only found 1 that meets most all of my criteria.. the lenovo Y500 BUT alot of the reviews are complaining about crashes relating to the implantation for the SLI and given the fact its the first SLI laptop i can think of.. i can see how there might be some growing pains, but that price yo.. 1066 after discount, and they a 999 if you go manufacturer direct (but i cant because this type of purchase NEEDS 12 months no interest)

so part of me is still looking for something better (something with a GTX perhaps)..

the only other thing i can come up with is the alienware MX14. the plus sides to that one is that i can customize it, dell, in my a opinion, makes a damn good laptop. of course im not a fan of the aesthetic.. it looks like it should have been made about 5 years ago.. oh wait.. cause it has. the current visual aesthetic of the alienware laptops started in 2009.. ans as such its folded height is as high as a 2009 laptop as well (a lil over 2 inches), also its running the exact same card as the lenovo.

so anyone out there got any ideas?
as always the cheaper the better, and would rather this cost me less than $1500
ebay isnt out of the question either

Tracker

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 04-01-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jam

Asus. Look at anything they make....

Alienware is overpriced Dell (which is overpriced medium specd garbage in the first place)
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Asus I'd second them. for a 14 inch machine not much is going to beat the M14X though as most gaming laptops are 15.6 or 17.3. However I'm biased as I own an M14X I picked up for a song. Would I pay the new price for an M14X? NOPE! If you're willing to spend the basically $1100 base price plus upgrades you might as well look at Asus or possibly look into Sager or Clevo (clevo is an OEM to many of the big laptop companies ie they sell a barebones chassis which is then customized a company sticker like Asus is slapped on it and Asus sells it as their stuff but in actuality Clevo is the OEM)

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
My next laptop will be ASUS.
THE Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Sager I was looking at last night, I was very impressed with the customizability but if I can't pay with bill me later then I can't get 0% which means I can't go there

It doesn't HAVE to be a 14. My current is a 15.6" and I'm quite happy with the size. But I can go smaller..

I'll take a look at Asus. But so far from what I saw. There were a lot of the same old chassis, the more modern looking ones were over 2 grand.. Way outside of my budget

*edit* so asus isnt happeneing, and heres why, pretty much all of thier all of their 1080P laptops are 17.3, they are also built of the ROG chassis wich is freaking massive, they are 2" plus when closed, and the are 2"+ when open because the hinge is located more toward the middle.. the only really capable asus gaming 15.6 is the G55VW, and thats discontinued on newegg, if you go to newegg and search laptops, screen size 15.6 and smaller, 1600x900 resolution, and asus as manufacturer, you get three results. one refurbished, one out of stock, and one using a 635M which is an inferior card to the alienware or lenovo.. aslo the G55VW is 8.4 pounds.. i want a laptop that wont feel like a chore just to get it out of my bag

Tracker

Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 04-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Custom Laptops, Gaming Notebooks, Custom Gaming Laptops | XOTIC PC You should check out some of these. I was told by some pretty tech savvy people that the sager laptops are pretty damn good.
DCx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
ArchAngels

CCM Fan
You looking to buy used or new? I have a Alienware mx17r3 with backpack that I am looking to let go. Super shape with 17.3 screen , 32g ddr3 , quad core 64 bit, dual hard drives, 2 g nvidia card . Let me know if interested.
Fatalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCx7 View Post
Custom Laptops, Gaming Notebooks, Custom Gaming Laptops | XOTIC PC You should check out some of these. I was told by some pretty tech savvy people that the sager laptops are pretty damn good.
Once again. I can only pay with credit setups That involve 0% it doesn't look like xotic takes bill me later. So I can't do it

Tracker

Trackers feedback
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Xotic accepts Bill Me Later
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
so they do... hmmmmmm this opens up new possibilities

Trackers feedback

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in