mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Looking to do a beefy computer upgrade.

Well i've been having my rig for probably 6 or 7 years now and I think it's time to take the big step up, last year i had upgraded to a GTX 570 classified and need more.

Looking to do a mobo, processor, ram combo. What's a decent processor along with mother board to go with without breaking the bank, mostly asking this question hoping someone knows about sales or rebates going on.

I was even planning on possibly just building nearly a brand new computer, the only thing i'd reuse is the powersupply and HDDs. Bigger case, possibly find a second GTX 570 if I could.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

mid to upper level intel i5 quad cores are still providing excellent value for their computing power offered.

Biggest thing to ask when you are looking at an upgrade is: What are you actually going to use it for, and where do you feel your current system is struggling to meet your needs?
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
My current system currently chugs at medium graphic settings to play bf3 at a decent frame rate (above 40 minimum). That same graphic card on my friend's computer can play the game set on ultra everything, so i'd have to guess i'm being bottlenecked, and with bf4 coming out, i figure it's time.

It currently has a core 2 quad in it i think at 2.9ghz. ddr2 ram which is expensive to upgrade now.

Basically it falls down to, I need a new processor, which means I need a new mobo to use that processor which means i need new ddr3 ram to use on the mobo.

Also the fact that i'm wanting a second computer to hook up to my tv and use as a media center style system. I could use my old parts on that along with my old graphic card.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 - Newegg.com
MSI Z77A-GD55 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2 - Newegg.com

My exact setup. With an HD6950 it runs BF3 on ultra with no problems. It doesn't even get hot. The Xeon E3-1230 V2 is all the power of an i7 at the price of an i5. The only "flaw" if you want to call it that is that you can't overclock it, which with the amount of power it has you really have no need to.

EDIT: If you can wait 'til June the newest Intel processors should be coming out, so you could either get the latest and greatest or the current stuff for cheaper.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

There is a huge difference in the Xeons and the I7's; just as "professional" graphics cards look for high detail vs the consumer's fast processing, the server chips are not on par with the consumer architecture for what you are doing. I have been there and done that with dual xeon systems, etc. Wait until haswell (new intel processers) are released and purchase the highest level 3rd gen I5. It will play games and OC better than the I7's (all of the above has been tested time and time again. google it)

Proud Dealer of: Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

I just put everything together to build a blazin' HTPC for my entertainment center. This site helped me a lot, since it weeds out incompatibility and gives you a price history for each part (so you know you're not overpaying compared to last week's deal): Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
There is a huge difference in the Xeons and the I7's; just as "professional" graphics cards look for high detail vs the consumer's fast processing, the server chips are not on par with the consumer architecture for what you are doing. I have been there and done that with dual xeon systems, etc. Wait until haswell (new intel processers) are released and purchase the highest level 3rd gen I5. It will play games and OC better than the I7's (all of the above has been tested time and time again. google it)

Well if the new processors are going to be released within the next few months, i'll go ahead and do that, just wait a bit to get one.
I'm assuming they "should" all still stay with the same socket correct?

What I may do is, buy the motherboard, ram and new case and start putting it together, my friend has an old I5 from when he upgraded to a higher end i7 so i could most likely just borrow that for the meantime.

So now onto the other part of the question, I have no problem finding ram, but what about a motherboard, any suggestions on something stable to be OC'ed? I'm looking to go no higher than 300 on the mobo, lower is preferable.

My goal in the end is not to build a super high end computer, my goal was only to upgrade my processor, just so happens i need a new mobo with new socket and ram to fit in that mobo.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Don't buy a mobo. There are issues with the Chipset for haswell that are being fixed. Wait u til it comes out and see which have the newest Chipset version.

PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I thought Haswell is going to a new socket as well. Id put of the voted and processor for a while but look for deals on the other stuff you will want now and pick it up when you find a deal

CCM
Art Of Pump

Next up:
?
Wallify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I can also tell you from much experience that PC Part picker does not weed out everything.
Furthermore, the prices are not always correct in that it will say something from newegg is more expensive than another place, yet the price for the other place has taxes not included.

I recommend shopping on Newegg, Amazon, and on Ebay. Anywhere else and you are wasting your time, gas, and money. Amazon and Newegg have excellent return polices as well. They also have their own store cards which allow you to pay interest free, etc. You can occasionally get special coupons from the cards. Also, make sure to sign up for newegg's emails as they have many email targeted only coupons which save you $$$ and occasionally stack with existing coupons to make it a good deal.

PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in