mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Is it just me? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/230914-just-me.html)

Falcon16 04-08-2013 06:41 PM

Is it just me?

Is it just me or is POTN like the PBN of the photography world? Full of douchebags who think their older than dirt FF camera is worth more than a brand new 7D and guys who think that if you don't own L glass you somehow can't produce studio quality prints. Ugh so sorry I ever joined or wasted my time there. Only people that made me feel welcome were guys from here who I pm'd about being on both forums. Anyone got suggestions for a photography forum that's not full of c***kbags?

Hawkeye20 04-08-2013 09:43 PM

M. Carter Brown's Photography Sub-Section is a good place to start :P

Falcon16 04-08-2013 11:43 PM

lol I know I meant some place that's like here but for photography ie a dedicated photog forum. Like I said POTN seems like PBN basically a bunch of pros and pro wannabes with more money than brains tied up in their gear who decide to have big pissing matches and heaven forbid you should have a different opinion. Literally had one guy slag me off because I told him that asking $800 or $600 (he had 2 different Canon 5D MKI bodies he offered me at those crackpipe prices) was insane and that I had already taken an offer for more things than he was offering for less money. He proceeds to tell me no way possible is someone going to sell me a 5D for $540 and that there obviously has to be something wrong with it and that I'll be disappointed and I'm stupid for spending my money with that seller rather than him. Almost wanted to reply back with F off and eat :censored: buddy

Mike Deep 04-09-2013 01:07 AM

KEH has 5D classics for $550-650 fairly regularly, so I have no idea why you're making offers around POTN for one.

The only deal I've ever done over POTN was local pickup.

Outside of the marketplace, POTN's busiest forums are all wrapped up in the most tiresome minutia:
"What lens should I buy?"
"Is my camera focusing correctly? I really want to believe it isn't the most likely explanation--me."
"I dropped and broke something expensive because I'm an irresponsible scatterbrain."
and my personal favorite,
"Why doesn't everything spew rainbows when viewed at 100%?"

Seriously, if you go to the EF lens forum right now, those topics will be dominating the front page. I generally stay out of the lens and camera forums unless a serious technical question pops up.

doc Zox 04-09-2013 01:14 AM

f/8 and be there

Falcon16 04-09-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Deep (Post 2678939)
KEH has 5D classics for $550-650 fairly regularly, so I have no idea why you're making offers around POTN for one.

The only deal I've ever done over POTN was local pickup.

Outside of the marketplace, POTN's busiest forums are all wrapped up in the most tiresome minutia:
"What lens should I buy?"
"Is my camera focusing correctly? I really want to believe it isn't the most likely explanation--me."
"I dropped and broke something expensive because I'm an irresponsible scatterbrain."
and my personal favorite,
"Why doesn't everything spew rainbows when viewed at 100%?"

Seriously, if you go to the EF lens forum right now, those topics will be dominating the front page. I generally stay out of the lens and camera forums unless a serious technical question pops up.

Well I'm trying to find a 5D in Canada Mike I'd rather not pay the stupid prices Henrys wants and I'd rather not pay stupid shipping fees either. With that said you're spot on with what you're saying about POTN outside of BST. Just left a bad taste in my mouth to get slagged for telling a guy clearly trying to get one over to go pound sand. I just looked at KEH if I wasn't about to get wacked with duties I'd buy over there thanks for the heads up

chopper duke 04-09-2013 10:51 AM

I've been saying the same thing about POTN for awhile. It seems more emphasis is put on gear than technique and ability. I don't shoot Canon so the BSTs aren't much for me either.

Falcon16 04-09-2013 10:59 AM

so it really is like the PBN of the photography world. Except PBN replace high end cameras with high end markers and the same attitude prevails across both sites. I guess I've tried to follow the photographers gear buying mantra of glass before body. So I shoot an XTi that i picked up used for a complete amazing deal and I paired with a 50mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8 70-210 F4 and then my kit lens which I never use and last but not least a 28-105 USM II. Not a crazy L glass super pro 1DX setup by any means but I look at my gear and I look at the pictures I've taken using it and honestly I look at some of these guys shooting still moving objects with a 1DX which honestly seems to only have 1 thing over say a 7D or more aptly a 5D series and that is burst speed.

I get the feeling over there that a LOT of guys on that board are still stuck in the more MP means better rut it's like are you serious? if i was to drop the $1400 and buy a 70-200 2.8L IS I could take pictures just as crazy sharp as guys with a 1DX the body would make no difference.

I also remember CJ was saying one of the most well known professional photogs (name escapes me at the moment) actually shoots with an XTi and I almost want to find the guy post pictures of his in a thread and have people guess what he used without looking at EXIF. Then I'd just love to tell them surprise :censored:holes he uses an XTi and could run you guys into the ground.

Falcon16 04-09-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc Zox (Post 2678944)
f/8 and be there

you're right I should just focus on my own photos and screw the rest of em:bowdown:bowdown

Mike Deep 04-09-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon16 (Post 2679135)
Not a crazy L glass super pro 1DX setup by any means but I look at my gear and I look at the pictures I've taken using it and honestly I look at some of these guys shooting still moving objects with a 1DX which honestly seems to only have 1 thing over say a 7D or more aptly a 5D series and that is burst speed.

I get the feeling over there that a LOT of guys on that board are still stuck in the more MP means better rut it's like are you serious? if i was to drop the $1400 and buy a 70-200 2.8L IS I could take pictures just as crazy sharp as guys with a 1DX the body would make no difference.

A 1DX has advantages over the rest of the lineup (1D bodies are absolute bulldogs where AF is concerned), but it doesn't make a bit of difference if the user doesn't know what to do with it. Ferrari owners and Ferrari drivers, etc.