mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Silly Daddy! Minecraft's for kids! (Advice needed)

My son is 8 and it seems he and his friends are enthralled by Minecraft. My son just plays on his iPod, but I know his friends have the full version and play on their computers I guess.
Now, as much as my wife and I loathe the fact that our kids (my daughter plays too, but she is nowhere near as engrossed) spend so much time playing with these infernal machines (ipods and computers) I must admit we think Minecraft has been a great creative outlet for them. I have been especially impressed with the things my son has built (ships at sea. Airports with planes, Movie theatres,houses, etc.)

My son has been bugging me for the full PC (Mac) version and wants to play multiplayer with his friends. Now I am concerned with him going on to public servers and such, but a quick youtube search seems to show that it wouldn't be too difficult to set up a whitelisted server on our home machine that he and a couple of friends could play on (if my machine tolerates it.) It looks to me like the game costs about $27 and you can download the server too.

So, I have never set up any kind of server before. Is there anything I should be aware of about setting this up and having it be a fairly safe environment for my son and his friends to play together? Any pitfalls or shortcomings I should watch out for?

Any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Send a message to Looper, he runs the MCB Minecraft server and has been doing a fantastic job for like 2 years.

I'm fairly sure if you keep it to only your son's friends then you won't have any trouble. As long as they behave then you should be fine, I think there are censor options for profanity that you can set up. I know when I played with close friends we would skype or Xbox live chat to communicate faster.

Man the game is $27?? I think I payed like $6.50 for it 2 years ago in Alpha 1.017.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Barned

I'm 15 and I bought the pc version when I was 12 or 13. In my experience most of the multiplayer servers you go on will have varying degrees of profanity. Some will ban you for the slightest amount of cursing, ect., some have swear filters implemented, and other servers have simply no restrictions on cursing and hostile behaviour. If you buy your son this, he wil most likely start playing multiplayer and he might discover servers that can prove to be a bad influence.... My friends little brother was allowed to play call of duty, ect. when he was in kindergarten, and he's in grade 2 and already knows MANY profanities.

Tl;Dr Yes minecraft is a great outlet but some of the online community may swear, use racism and be hostile towards him which would obviously be a bad influence. I'm guessing if he starts playing with his friends he'll eventually move onto other servers. Overall minecraft is a great outlet and I've had many positive experiences from it.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
We keep our PC's in the family room and generally monitor the kids time using them. I like to think we can spot if he is on an open server fairly quickly, but it could happen. I am still more interested in trying to set up a whitelist server for him and his friends and I'm wondering if it is not as easy as it looks, or if there are any pitfalls like opening myself up for some pretty severe hacking?

I have seen that we would need to keep his friends posted with our up to date public IP unless we yse a DNS server, but I'm not sure how secure a free DNS server is and I really don't want to pay for one. Maybe having an IP chance once in a while isn't a bad thing.

I have no idea what creating a server on our machine might open us up to.

Thanks for the words of caution though.

Bow, I'll shoot Looper a message. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
It's well worth the money. Don't think of it as a computer game think of it like a virtual lego set since that's basically what it is. If anything else I'd say it's probably the best computer game for kids to play together as it encourages not only teamwork in survival mode but also true creativity when you play in creative mode with unlimited resources.

As for for hosting a server a buddy of mine hosts our minecraft server and uses FreeDNS to make it so that his IP always redirects to the server. His server is a dual opteron machine I believe which was built cheaply since all it hosts is minecraft and a web page. Best advice is pick up a cheap used workstation from one of those places that deals in off lease business machines. Run that as a server and you're golden.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
That's an idea! I might have one of those lying around!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Finnigan,
Thank you for this question. My 10 year old has been enthralled with this game for the last 4 months and would live on the machine if we let him. He has been begging for the full version and we have been resisting, but this makes it sound like it wouldn't be such a bad deal if we could find some acceptable friends for him to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post

Any experience or advice would be appreciated.
looper runs the mcb minecraft server.

and i wouldn't worry about it. if the server has bad people, chances are his buildings would get griefed and he would voluntarily find a better server. i also find it hard to imagine playing on any other servers if you've already got your own.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
I use hamachi to play with friends.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
VCP

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I actually just setup a another server for my two kids, ages 8 & 6, and their school friends.

I am using Bukkit with Mods and setup a whitelist so we can limit access to the server. Due to the age of the players I have disabled PVP, Monsters and made the server creative mode. I also turned off the Nether and End worlds to save on resources. I downloaded a pre built world so the kids could have fun exploring a world with existing structures and then start building their own.

here is the server.property file that has the above mentioned settings.

Code:
#Minecraft server properties
allow-flight=true
allow-nether=false
difficulty=0
enable-query=false
enable-rcon=false
force-gamemode=false
gamemode=1
generate-structures=true
generator-settings=
hardcore=false
level-name=world
level-seed=
level-type=DEFAULT
max-build-height=256
max-players=10
motd=[Enter Message Of The Day here]
online-mode=true
pvp=false
server-ip=
server-name=[Enter server name here]
server-port=25565
snooper-enabled=false
spawn-animals=true
spawn-monsters=false
spawn-npcs=true
spawn-protection=16
texture-pack=
view-distance=10
white-list=true
Add yourself to the Ops.txt file so you have rights on the server
add other users to the white-list.txt file so they have access to the server

There are a fair amount of "How to's" out there on setting up a bukkit minecraft server.

Most of the mods I use on the MCB server are not really needed on the "Kids" server.
Some of the plugins I do use on this server is
Dynmap (web browser view of the world and active player)
SWatchdog (for logging of who did what if there is an issue)
WorldBorder (to set a border on the world)

being creative mode there are not many needs to be too restrictive on the game play. See my Minecraft thread for a link to download the needed files above. with Bukkit you do not need to download the minecraft server file as it is part of bukkit file.

I assume you are a cable modem users and have a Linksys "router/firewall" or similar device to block inbound access. As far as getting others to connect to the server you will need to open port 25565 on your "router/firewall" and setup a NAT on the "Router/firewall" to redirect the 25565 internet traffic to your PC's IP address that is running the "Server". Once you have that you just need to tell others what your external IP address is so they can connect. It's not really that hard but the first time is the worst because of the learning curve.

If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Shawn
secretweaponevan ~ "That wasn't in the instructions. Don't try to outsmart physics. Read and follow the instructions."
secretweaponevan ~ "You did great with following the instructions. Just so you know, that puts you in the top 1%."
Notch ~ "* Hoes now produce proper seeds"
ApoC_101 ~ "I don't always use freak inserts, but when I do, I use Ty McNeer brass inserts"

If you are having MCB Minecraft Server issues click HERE ~ ~ ~ Get DropBox and an Extra 250MB
Looper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in