mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

What is the magic number?

Tonight's US Lottery is expected to exceed 600 million dollars. With early payout and taxes that is still a ridiculous amount of money somewhere in the A-Rod money area.

It got me to thinking. Some of you are working with the primary goal of retiring. You may not hate what you do but the job you are in was a careful consideration of the use of your skills to create as much wealth as quickly as possible to retire.

What's the magic number? If you were to receive an inheritance from a long lost relative, win the lotto, have your mutual funds set record returns, or whatever what is the number that you would be comfortable retiring with without worrying?
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

$10 million. Let me tell you why.

For another project, I figured out what you could buy with just $10million, and here's what I came up with for a family of 5 (mom, dad, 3 kids, plus some aged parents they have to take care of):

cost of a Bachelor's degree (most expensive, of course) - $100,572 (x3 kids = $301,716)

cost of a year of nursing home - $50,000 (average total $114,383, x2 parents at twice the average = $457,532)

Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG (mom's grocery getter) - $135,205
Nissan GT-R (dad's commuter) - $96,100
Ferrari 458 Italia (dad's "fun" car) - $230,275
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (son's car) - $38,490
Infiniti M35h Hybrid (daughter's car) - $54,595
Ford Raptor (other son's fun truck) - $45,940
cars total - $600,605

5 million dollar house - $5,000,000

Bavaria Vision 46 yacht - $311,412

country club membership - $120,000

maid and cook annual salaries - $60,000

annual taxes (24.6%) on $10mil - $2,460,000

total - $9,311,265

Yeah, I was pondering what people could buy if the government enforced a $10mil salary cap on citizens of the US - in one year, they could take care of their kids' college education, their parents' retirement home costs, buy a mansion, 6 very expensive vehicles, a yacht, one year's membership at a fancy golf club, keep a maid and a cook on staff, and still pay their taxes to the government, and have $600,000 left over. According to the 2011 tax roll, 7% of the tax paying population makes over $10 million a year. Just let you ponder that one for a while.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
usagi while your use of a 10million sound ''good'' there is a flaw if you need retirement money, you won't be able to keep up everything you bought since you won't have made more money and retainly not retire with what would be left over.
PaintballGear / Ansgear
Feedback
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro7976 View Post
Yeah that's the plan. I want to play with it this summer and see if I can develop a relationship with her. Good luck with your sale man.
BenoitOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

You misunderstand me, sir, if I had $10mil I wouldn't buy all of that stuff - definitely no mansion, definitely wouldn't pay for my daughter's college at a $100,000 (even in 14+ years, there will be cheaper options that still generate a diploma), wouldn't buy most of those cars (okay, maybe a GT-R for a "fun" car, but even with $10mil in the bank, I'd still have the slightly used beaters I've always favored for daily drivers), definitely no yachts (not fond of sailing), no country club membership (hate golf), and no maid or cook. No, it was a study I'd done for myself of what someone who would "suffer" under a government enforced annual salary cap of $10mil.

But if I had $10mil in total net worth (investments + property - debts), I'd retire from my daily job. Even now, though, I'm always on the lookout for jobs that would fill the hours after I retire. Like the guy at the major airports who drives from the rental agency to all of the terminals and back again, for 8 hours a day - meet new people all the time, don't have a lot of stress, and no real brain activity. Perfect for a retirement job.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resurgence

1.8M and I'm done for good. Or at least that's what my 401k says I should have at 55 if I keep doing my 6% and the company match. And I make peanuts.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I think I could consider "retiring" if I received over $2 million after tax winfall right now. If I received $4 million, I certainly would. It really doesn't take that much money to maintain a good standard of living if you can resist running out to buy the mansion and new Ferrari.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
I think I could consider "retiring" if I received over $2 million after tax winfall right now. If I received $4 million, I certainly would. It really doesn't take that much money to maintain a good standard of living if you can resist running out to buy the mansion and new Ferrari.
My number is based on return of investement / inflationary figures. If I can take out 100K a year, never touch the principal, and have the principal and my "salary" match inflation I would be happy. This puts it somewhere in the 2 to 4 million range depending what kind of ROI / inflation figures one uses
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
I could do it on 2 as well, 1 would work, but would push it. That money could be earning our annual cash and we'd never have to touch the principal. Shoot, after the house was paid off the principal could probably grow quite a bit too.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

If I wanted to "retire" five years down the road I'd need about $7.25 million total to cover the following 65 years.
  • It's about $40,000 for cost of living in the Cumberland County area of Maine for a two person household currently
  • Average inflation rate from 2000 to 2012 was 2.5%

So I figured that in five years it'll cost about $45,000 for cost of living. Using that as a base and 2.5% inflation I get an equation of f(x)=45000*1.025^x

Now I know that's probably pretty horribly simplified, but it's close enough for me right now. Anyways, finding the area under the graph for that equation from the initial year to year 65 gives me $7,249,460.60.

So, I'd need about $7.25 million dollars to cover me and another person from when I'm 24 until I'm 89.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in