mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
And it keeps getting better..

Internet connection required..

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109

Quote:
The Xbox One doesn't have to be online all the time, but it does have to be online. Not just once in a while—once a day, according to Microsoft vice president Phil Harrison.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

I must say that the last year or so has been a new golden age for board game producers. With the rise of Kickstarter, and the way companies like EA have been treating customers (ie, "You're all crooks stealing our stuff, so here is less stuff for more money and go jump through these flaming hoops to get it") I know more and more people who spend more time playing board games than they do video games now.

For me, video games are something to do when I have nothing better I can think of, and no one around who can join me for a game of Catan or something.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
And it keeps getting better..

Internet connection required..

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109
One commenter said that MS sold a lot of PS4's today. My decision will be decided by the used market. I don't often buy new, maybe, maybe 1 in 10 purchases. If I have to buy new, I'm out. Is Sony putting this on the table?

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
One commenter said that MS sold a lot of PS4's today. My decision will be decided by the used market. I don't often buy new, maybe, maybe 1 in 10 purchases. If I have to buy new, I'm out. Is Sony putting this on the table?
I'm not sure what Sony has planned for the PS4 but I know I won't be interested. I bought consoles to play games, not check my facebook status or watch youtube and I definitely didn't buy them so console manufacturers and big name publishers could dictate how I could play their games. The fun has been sucked out of consoles and exclusives aren't enough to make me shell out $300+ for one. I'm done with consoles.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
I'm not sure what Sony has planned for the PS4 but I know I won't be interested. I bought consoles to play games, not check my facebook status or watch youtube and I definitely didn't buy them so console manufacturers and big name publishers could dictate how I could play their games. The fun has been sucked out of consoles and exclusives aren't enough to make me shell out $300+ for one. I'm done with consoles.
The only thing I'm needing to know about is how the used market will be treated. If I can't buy used games, I won't buy the console.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

so is it always online?

Quote:
One installation per disc
Must pay for second installation
oh wow, that's a deal breaker.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
@Ccm. They seem to think that everyone wants to be a castor and show of their "skills" that's why there is connectivity to YouTube and Facebook. Basically any tech that comes out need to have social media connectivity. It's the rage now.

But more importantly I want to know what the new tech is? Ps3 had the blue ray which was revolutionary. I'm not seeing anything here that is pushing the envelope. The only thing is fully 3D compatible? Remains to see if Sony going to start pushing affordable 3D tvs to support this. And or 3d tvs that don't need glasses.

But yeah the average gamer or maybe the older school vets don't really need Facebook access.

I think the one think that is cool with Sony is that it allows you to take ur gaming on the go via the what is it the PSP? But that is not totally revolutionary.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
so is it always online?

oh wow, that's a deal breaker.
Once a day. It's not "always online" but there's very little difference between being constantly connected and having to be connected every day. It's a lot like DRM in some ways. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they use it to tailor advertisements on your console based on what you play. I also wouldn't past them to use this as a method of checking for modded hardware / software and "used games".

Quote:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 05-21-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
The biggest deal breaker is the one install per disc. God forbid an Xbox dies, and your HDD is fried. If yoyr data is not saved to the cloud looks like you will be paying to reinstall your own game. Microsoft really flubbed this announcement; everything gamers said they didn't want, Microsoft implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
The biggest deal breaker is the one install per disc. God forbid an Xbox dies, and your HDD is fried. If yoyr data is not saved to the cloud looks like you will be paying to reinstall your own game. Microsoft really flubbed this announcement; everything gamers said they didn't want, Microsoft implemented.
I have to agree. It's preposterous to have this. At the very least, give the user an account so that the servers know they've already paid for the game and can uninstall and re-install it whenever they want.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in