mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Expresso machine - what to look for?

Allright so im getting tired of buying expensive tim hortons(iced cappucino with extra expresso shot) and I have been looking at costco:

Breville Die-Cast Programmable Espresso Machine for 299.99$,
I checked prices and some ask between close to 400 to 500$.
Die-Cast Programmable Espresso Machine | Breville

I have no experience in the domain but would it do the job as I wish? Of course I can't budget 1000$ for such a machine and I don't want low quality either.

Thanks
PaintballGear / Ansgear
Feedback
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro7976 View Post
Yeah that's the plan. I want to play with it this summer and see if I can develop a relationship with her. Good luck with your sale man.
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
From my experience, french press is the way to go.

As far as getting something like espresso from that, perhaps just pour in less water with more grounds?

Want to bring peace, tranquility, and the abundance of nice aftermarket parts to the paintball universe once and for all? Contribute to: www.tbqf.co

ALTBazaar.com - The end-all source to high performance and quality.
TBQF.co - The end all source for all cool things paintbally.

YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

French Press is for coffee... not espresso. Only one way to make proper espresso, with a proper espresso machine. Preferably some overpriced Italian make of course.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
goes to show how much I know.

Tea ftmfw.

Want to bring peace, tranquility, and the abundance of nice aftermarket parts to the paintball universe once and for all? Contribute to: www.tbqf.co

ALTBazaar.com - The end-all source to high performance and quality.
TBQF.co - The end all source for all cool things paintbally.

YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Double post. Oops.

Last edited by krupasjeans; 06-04-2013 at 02:14 AM.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

My dad suddenly and unexpectedly got into the coffee craze about 5 years back. Before that he mainly drank tea.

He now has 3 espresso machines in various states of disassembly in his second bathroom and a $500 personal coffee roaster. Yeah, we all thought it was the beginnning of the end for him.

Either way, he lives, and he was nice enough to give me a Baby Gaggia that he had gotten "broken" on eBay for $50 with shipping. Pretty cheap as far as I remember it. He fixed it up and gave it to me. I got a Burr grinder and I'm never going back.

I've been using this refurbished Baby Gaggia for a few years now and it hasn't given me any problems. I backflush it, break a few pieces down, clean the coffee grits off them and call it a day every few months. Nothing too crazy.

Here's a link to one of the newer models on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Gaggia 12101 New Baby Manual Espresso Machine, Black: Kitchen & Dining
Looks like they have the "Classic" model which is a little bit more, but made out of stainless. I don't know, my plastic bodied baby has been fine, I don't take it outside and throw it on the ground that much.

I'd recommend it if you are planning on just making espressos. My drink of choice is an Americano and it can do that without fail. The steam wand is acceptable, but it can't really steam milk like the professional models. There is just not enough of a steam reservoir to get 16oz of cold milk to 160F in a suitable time frame. So if you absolutely need a righteous cappuccino, maybe look at the other models.

That's my two cents. And yes, espresso machines are uncannily like paintball guns. There are seals, o-rings, gaskets, 3 way valves amongst other things. If you're a good tinkerer you could probably do some research and pick up a broken model and fix it up. There's plenty of forums for coffee snobs (not unlike this one!) that can help you out.

Good luck. Oh, and don't forget you're going to need a Burr grinder to go with your espresso machine. A regular grinder just WILL NOT WORK.

Edit: Did a quick eBay search and found this. I have the same exact model espresso machine but a different Burr grinder. Either way, that's a great deal for the combo.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Wow, they've gotten complicated and expensive. I think I still have my old gaggia somewhere. No fancy solenoid valves or anything, just fill it and turn it on. Manual knob valve for the steam. so the timing for the steam can be tricky if you're not paying attention. The little 4 shot pot was awesome though.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
ton up boy

A percolator is where itīs at.

I have a Bialetti which is the original, but similar copies can be bought for fraction of price.

Itīs really simple and fast, and work without electricity, so you can enjoy espresso during zombie apocalypse too.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

You know espresso was invented as a way to sell off the crappier coffee beans don't you? (as MCB snobs we really shouldn't be drinking it).
Cannon Fodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bob
Rec Poster

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370343532.985810.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  39.3 KBthis is what the Italians use at there houses. Makes about three shots of espresso.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in