mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   is my vid card dying? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/234991-my-vid-card-dying.html)

heinous 06-05-2013 10:51 PM

is my vid card dying?

have a gtx 460.

a few days ago while at the desktop, it blacked out. after a few seconds it returned to the desktop and the system tray showed a popup saying the driver recovered from a crash.

next day, it happened again but didn't recover itself, with the monitor showing that "no signal" indication i went ahead and unplugged the hdmi cable from the back of the tower and plugged it back in. after a few times the picture returned.

i tried running team fortress 2 and it crashed. after trying for the 3rd time it finally worked, and it has been working fine since.

i updated the driver. now, whenever i turn on the computer, once it reaches desktop it will black out for half a second before returning to normal. it will do this about 5 times before it stabilizes, but it does so on its own. the same thing also happens if i turn off the monitor while leaving the computer on, then return after a quick trip out the house.

is this a cable problem or should i upgrade? i bought the gtx460 hoping it would last, but now i'm eyeing a gtx660 especially since it comes with metro last light... but it's still an extra $200 that i'd rather not spend unless i have to.

philosophia 06-05-2013 11:04 PM

A cable shouldn't make the computer think that a driver has crashed I believe, I've popped an HDMI cable in an out of my laptop multiple times while it's been running and nothing like that ever happened.

If you do want to upgrade you whould probably wait another month or two, the nVidia 700 series cards are coming out which should make the 600s drop in price. Or wait till you can get a GTX 680 for cheap and flash it with the GTX 770 BIOS (which is apparently possible).

StealingYerMail 06-06-2013 06:50 PM

I have a 460 as well and I had this problem a couple of months ago.

I know I went back to older drivers after it happened, then I think I updated them late this winter, and I haven't had a problem since.

I remember at the time I was having a lot of problems with the card I had some HDD problems as well and once I sorted those out and changed my drivers everything was fine.

EDIT: I'm on 306.97 right now.

heinous 06-06-2013 07:11 PM

wow, i'm on 320 something, but only updated because of the problem. don't remember the previous version. still, i'm having a mini heart attack every time i start a computer because the screen blacks out a few times in a row.... i think i should upgrade now...

martix_agent 06-06-2013 07:16 PM

do you have another computer you can throw your current card into? That way you can find out if it's your gpu, or something else that is causing the problem.

heinous 06-06-2013 07:25 PM

no, all my other ones are pre-pcie

heinous 06-06-2013 09:49 PM

well i went ahead and got a 660.

priced match using amazon.

came out to $226 after tax. might be saving more if i bought later, but i don't like my display scaring me for a month longer, plus it includes metro last light so it isn't so bad. i remember the last generation included duke nukem forever, so sad....

no problems so far.... but damn my tower was dusty inside. went over the cpu heat sink with a tooth pick. the gpu was relatively clean though, so i'm not sure if that had anything to do with anything.

ApoC_101 06-07-2013 09:19 AM

Good choice on new card and awesome game. Be sure to check your case temperature... It did sound like hardware glitching like you would get from thermal issues. Dirty case or card cooling is usually the culprit.

Dogg3 06-07-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 2727744)
Good choice on new card and awesome game. Be sure to check your case temperature... It did sound like hardware glitching like you would get from thermal issues. Dirty case or card cooling is usually the culprit.

This. The only other thing I would try is running driver sweeper to completely remove the old drivers, then reinstall them.

I don't know when you bought the card, but if its still under warranty, I'd send it in. Even if it isn't under warranty, I'd call and see if the manufacturer will fix/replace it.

heinous 06-07-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 2727744)

lucky me. i bought the gtx 660 made by asus. it comes with a gpu tweak program that has gpu temperature reading. under load it's at around 60+

the thing is, that glitchy thing happens even when i started the pc in the morning, meaning it had all night to cool down, and it was cooled down for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogg3 (Post 2727779)
I don't know when you bought the card, but if its still under warranty, I'd send it in. Even if it isn't under warranty, I'd call and see if the manufacturer will fix/replace it.

2011 new years... yeah, we're way past that lol.