mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
App pays you to spot illegally parked cars

I think this is brilliant. As someone who finds people exploiting handicapped spots to be a huge pet peeve, I could see using this. If I put apps like that on my phone.

App pays you to spot illegally parked cars | Fox News

Quote:
Becoming a bounty hunter may soon get a lot easier.

SpotSquad is a mobile phone application in the works that allows users to report illegally parked cars and get a cut of the fine paid as a reward.

Created by a technology startup in Winnipeg, Canada, the app aims to crowdsource parking enforcement at privately run lots and potentially on public streets.

The reporting process is as simple as taking a photo of the car, which is GPS tagged while optical character recognition reads and records the license plate number, then choosing from a list the type of infraction observed -- everything from expired meters to unauthorized parking in a handicapped spot.

Based on the location of the vehicle, the report is automatically sent to the operator of the lot, or local law enforcement if it’s on public property. Then personnel is dispatched to issue a notice, ticket or have it towed.

Company co-founder Chris Johnson tells FoxNews.com that last point is important, as the photos and reports themselves will not be submitted as evidence in court, at least not at this stage.

Down the road, if the system proves to be effective, he thinks it’s possible that laws could be written to allow it to be directly involved in issuing citations, but for now is intended to be used more along the lines of a smartphone-based Crime Stoppers program for these minor offenses.

SpotSquad is in talks with several parking lot management companies, and hopes to have a pilot program up and running in Winnipeg by July, according to Johnson.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Lol I like the Idea but it sounds completely abuseable.

Putting ANY kind of "enforcement" power into any of the idiot general public scares me.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

"they are trying to work out with parking enforcement of how to get a % of the fine"

.....ya good luck lol
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

While I whole heartedly support an easy to use reporting system to help nail idiots who thing side walks and such are their personal parking spot reseved just for them... I don't support the idea of people getting any kind of a 'cut' from the fine. (Seriously, the number of large trucks I see parked on the sidewalk by the bank near my place is just sad. Especially when you consider there is a large empty parking lot another 100 feet further down the road, which they will have to drive through anyway to get back to a road that goes anywhere.)

Use it as a tool to direct resources around, not as an abusable tool for people to try and find ways to personally profit off it.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Sounds like another fund raiser for "The Man".

My motto is " Cop didn't see it. I didn't do it"

All we need are more busy body people sticking their noses where they don't belong.

We have a meter maid in the town that I work in that is relentless.
One story has it that he issued a expired meter ticket to a car in which the driver just parked and had not exited yet.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
Sounds like another fund raiser for "The Man".

My motto is " Cop didn't see it. I didn't do it"

All we need are more busy body people sticking their noses where they don't belong.

We have a meter maid in the town that I work in that is relentless.
One story has it that he issued a expired meter ticket to a car in which the driver just parked and had not exited yet.
If the driver had actually just parked and was in the process of getting out, then that is just BS. If however they 'just parked' and were waiting ten minutes for someone they were picking up, then I see no issue with them getting the ticket.

As someone who as been nearly hit by moving vehicles due to drivers being idiots and ignoring laws and regulations, I have very little pity for anyone dumb enough to get a ticket. Don't want to get a ticket? Don't violate traffic and parking laws. Don't want to go to jail for life? Don't murder idiot drivers. I'm doing my part and staying out of jail.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
File lots of false reports. After awhile enforcement officials will begin to ignore it.
Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Lol I like the Idea but it sounds completely abuseable.

Putting ANY kind of "enforcement" power into any of the idiot general public scares me.
I see this a lot on the internet and it usually does end with people trolling people they don't like.

What's next, spying on your neighbors to make sure they aren't pirating software?

CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in