mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

8.1 pre, or "blue"

Any of you DL'ed this OS yet?
I have been holding off on 8 simply because of the touchscreen UI it is designed for. I read that 8.1 would allow boot to desktop, so I downloaded the preview and have to say that I am very impressed with the OS as a whole. It takes all of 10 minutes to figure out where they put everything, much like the changes made from XP to Vista or Vista to 7. Once you find everything you come to the realization that they did away with some of the various ways you could go about getting to the same places and streamlined the OS quite a bit in that respect.
I still haven't figured out how to put WMP back on the desktop, and the new "music" app isn't well thought out as to the player portion IMO. I can't easily find the player controls w/o using the hot keys.
Aside from that small complaint, and likely just a matter of figuring out how to do it, I will be looking to buy this one.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

If it's an actual productivity and performance improvement over windows 7 I'll use it. I adopted vista early and didn't regret it (thanks to a ton of tweaking and modifications), will check out 8.1 when I do a new of build next year.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
i have for my laptop

its nice, but my laptop had some video card related driver issues.. (lenovo Y500 serries.. dual video cards work."funny" without proper drivers..

it definitly makes it alot more intelligent way of using a computer if your more of a traditional windows user like myself..
the file download (first day) took so long i finally had to go to bed and let it run over night.. also it makes chrome fuzzy as it messes up scaling

all in all, if your a hardcore windows guy like me, your better off using classic shell or startisback

lastly.. you cant go back.. so do a full backup before you update, because if you dot like it, or something is broken and you cant wait for that feature to get fixed, you will need to do a full image restore

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I never do a re-install or OS change without formatting.

I loved the driver install portion of the OS. They have been getting much better at installing drivers or at least generic ones that work over a wide variety of product. This install I had three drivers I had to go find afterward, as opposed to about six or so I had last 7 install.
I really dig the hotkey integration with all players. Before I had to recall whether it was "pause" for this one, "space" for that one, etc. Now the pause/play key works in all my players and from the OS driver.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in