mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Ditching Cable (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/238347-ditching-cable.html)

Greenmtnphantom 07-23-2013 01:24 PM

Ditching Cable

If you are thinking about ditching "cable" (Currently on a direct TV package with HBO and local channels) what are some things you have to know/consider?

My first concern is if I can get an internet connection fast enough in my area, how to get local TV, cartoons for the kids and the few shows my wife and I watch together.

Please speak now voices of experience!

Murf425 07-23-2013 01:52 PM

The very few shows that I enjoy, I watch on the networks' websites the day after they air.
Internet connection...just check with the local providers.
Unless you're in a VERY rural area, an aerial antennae will get you access to the broadcast networks for your local channels.
Netflix for cartoons...if they don't like it, they can do something other than watch tv for entertainment.

Long Beard 07-23-2013 02:08 PM

We don't have cable....and we live in a valley so that we get nothing.

Our kids read a ton more than their peers. We watch some cartoons via internet. We rent some cartoon/movie series from our library. Also our library has many seasons of shows on DVD if you don't want to go the Netflix or Hulu or major channel website route.

I read more too. The only thing I miss is sports.....and I watch those all online anyway. I don't understand why I'd pay 60+ dollars a month for TV.

martix_agent 07-23-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murf425 (Post 2763423)
Unless you're in a VERY rural area, an aerial antennae will get you access to the broadcast networks for your local channels.

not necessarily true. I live in a city of 100,000 people or so, but I need a 30+ft tower with a super crazy expensive antenna on it to pick up stations from Indianpolis. NOBODY here has an antenna.

I don't have cable though, and the onyl thing i miss are the live sport events. I have to use a streaming site that are really poor quality video.

Schmitti 07-23-2013 02:40 PM

And if you don't have good infrasturcture you may not be able to get good internet.

We ended up having to go with a satellite (yes as in one of those electronic objects put in geosynchronous orbit by a rocket) internet as there are no providers.

One of these days I will put up an antenna so that I can get free tv again... but until then we have cable. I really need to ween the kids off their morning shows.

E

Greenmtnphantom 07-23-2013 02:51 PM

How fast an internet connection are we talking here?

thumper 07-23-2013 02:55 PM

netflix.. $9/mo. > dish

Murf425 07-23-2013 02:59 PM

I only watch a very few college football teams, so I typically get my sports action at BWW while getting my wing-fetish satisfied.

desertT1 07-23-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martix_agent (Post 2763458)
the onyl thing i miss are the live sport events. I have to use a streaming site that are really poor quality video.

How?

I personally could give up the cable TV if I could figure out how to get sports on the computer. Shoot, I'd build a computer to plug into the TV just for that.

martix_agent 07-23-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertT1 (Post 2763511)
How?

I personally could give up the cable TV if I could figure out how to get sports on the computer. Shoot, I'd build a computer to plug into the TV just for that.

I go to the website, and pick the stream I want to use. Or are you asking me for the link? pm me if you want it.