mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
definitely ignore me. it's not like i had temperature problems on a laptop before and know just how hot they can get and the video card starts throttling down to save itself.

frankly i'd have a netbook for mobility and then a desktop at home to do the heavy work, and a 16gb thumb drive in between, unless of course your classes need you there with a powerful laptop, most of the time i only needed a laptop on campus to follow lectures with online notes, anything else the department has its own computer labs for student use, with the relevant programs already installed.
Frankly, Id go one further and get a tablet instead of a netbook. Tablet + dropbox = no hassle of a flash drive. Plus, if theres not an app or easy way for me to do the work I need to do on iOS or Android (or that windows thing), then it's probably something I need to do on my desktop anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
I need the power of the laptop at school to work on assignments. So getting a lesser laptop wasn't an option. I'm not entirely sure on how much gaming I'll actually do on this.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Living in a dorm or apartment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I have a y500 with sli 650's and it doesn't get that hot. I threw a 256gb ssd in there as it's only a work / portable gaming computer.

Before anyone says I should have bought a desktop, I have one at home with sli 580's and a 2600k that I built last year. However, I travel for several months for work during the year so I wanted something on the go.

People are always so critical of the "gaming laptop." While yes they are significantly underpowered compared to their desktop counterparts, they still serve a purpose for those who don't get to be home all the time.
Beebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. VonDeafingson View Post
Living in a dorm or apartment?

I'm living at home and driving in. I also am getting a back pack for it.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Exactly what kind of work are you going to be focusing on?

Never ignore ssh and command line tools if they are an option. I've operated networked super computers crunching massive data sets from a cheap and highly underpowered smart phone.

Thin clients to a more powerful remote system can often be more convenient than trying to run things locally. Less local heat and power usage. A beast of a gaming rig with a huge screen sounds like a great idea... Till it shuts off because you've just killed your battery. I would much rather something with a 13" or smaller screen for a mobile device, and leave the larger screens for back at the desk.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Exactly what kind of work are you going to be focusing on?

Never ignore ssh and command line tools if they are an option. I've operated networked super computers crunching massive data sets from a cheap and highly underpowered smart phone.

Thin clients to a more powerful remote system can often be more convenient than trying to run things locally. Less local heat and power usage. A beast of a gaming rig with a huge screen sounds like a great idea... Till it shuts off because you've just killed your battery. I would much rather something with a 13" or smaller screen for a mobile device, and leave the larger screens for back at the desk.
I will mostly be running AutoCAD and Revit. But also programs like SketchUp, Rhino, ArchiCAD, Inventor and SolidWorks. The beauty of the laptop I got is it is meant to be more battery efficient so I will be able to be more mobile with it. I also imagine when I'm using it I will be near a power source or just doing light duty work on it.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
So I picked up a gaming mouse, cooling pad and BF3 for it today. Lets see how it turns out...
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
good choice on the Asus. When I was looking at upgrading my laptop late last year I looked into them I only went with an Alienware M14X because I found a smoking deal locally that I couldn't pass up, kid needed money to buy a mac for music production and sold me his 14X R1 with warranty for $350!

If I hadn't have bought this an Asus machine would have been my top choice.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

that laptop you bought is going to have considerable gaming power. I play a ton of games just fine on a much weaker laptop, and heat issues are dealt with by raising it up with the first season of Firefly on DVD, lets the fans breathe easier. Hooked up to HDTV, usb keyboard and mouse for couch gaming. Works great for Sins Rebellion, Just Cause 2, NS2, don't starve, D3, SC2, etc. And that's with a GT540M and a third gen I5 mobile, 8gb. In a 14" ultraviolet sized enclosure. All games capped to 30fps with vsync, and AA.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in