mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   So I bought a gaming laptop (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/238634-so-i-bought-gaming-laptop.html)

Toad 07-26-2013 07:36 PM

So I bought a gaming laptop

So I bought a gaming laptop today, I will be picking it up on Wednesday. It is an Asus G750JW-QS71-CB. I'm used to using an 8 year old low end desktop that can't run Facebook, MCB and Youtube at the same time. So what should I expect? I'm already looking into games (Battlefield, GTA5, and NHL13). I bought the laptop because I needed one for school since I am running programs like Revit and AutoCAD. I just thought I would share, I'm pretty excited to finally have an awesome piece of technology.

heinous 07-26-2013 07:39 PM

should have bought a desktop....

now that you're stuck with a gaming laptop, it is going to overheat. get one of those laptop coolers.

Toad 07-26-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinous (Post 2766500)
should have bought a desktop....

now that you're stuck with a gaming laptop, it is going to overheat. get one of those laptop coolers.

I need a laptop for school, it just so happens the specs I needed for school matched the specs of most gaming laptops.

Tuff 07-26-2013 07:49 PM

Ignore him, Asus laptops are great. Had one for 4 years, never once had an issue with it, and you can take it places with you. I just recently bought a new Alienware, but i loved that Asus until is simply got old. Hopefully your laptop runs Battlefield fine, depends what specifically is under the hood. See what games are on steam and just think to yourself "Hey I can probably run that game now"

Toad 07-26-2013 07:52 PM

This are the specs:
Intel Core i7-4700HQ

-RAM: 12GB DDR3 (32GB Max)

-HDD: 1TB 5400RPM (There is a second HDD bay so you can upgrade the laptop with an SSD and install your OS and software on their for a big boost in speed)

-Screen: 17.3in FHD (1920x1080)

-Video Card: Nvidia GTX 765M 2Gb onboard memory

-Optical: DL DVD RW/CD-RW

-Wireless: 802.11AC (AC is a new standard that is even faster than N. There isn’t many routers out for this speed yet but it is coming. Fully backwards compatible)

- HD Camera, Bluetooth 4.0

-Battery: 8 Cell 5900

I don't know much about computers but I went to a small computer shop and they really liked this laptop. It was between this one and the Asus G55, but since the one I got has the new hardware I went with it. The only worry is the size, it weighs 10lbs and has a 17.3" screen so it's a monster.

CCM Photographer 07-26-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuff (Post 2766510)
Ignore him, Asus laptops are great.

I would still get a laptop cooler. Can't speak for all laptops but every gaming laptop I've used has been uncomfortably warm. I've even had a couple shutdown after a couple hours of use.

gainman 07-26-2013 09:55 PM

the last gaming laptop i had burned the video card out because they dont move heat very well. and they are MASSIVE. should change the name to mobile desktop. never again.

djeclypse 07-26-2013 10:10 PM

I've been using an Asus g-series laptop for two years as my main dj rig. Heavy road use 2-3 nights a week, in and out of the truck, running audio and video and sometimes dmx lighting control. All at the same time. Also use it for audio and video editing. Never once used or even felt like I needed an external cooling source. It is built like a tank, almost as heavy, and takes abuse better than anything this side of a milspec ToughBook. Great choice, and good luck!

heinous 07-26-2013 10:17 PM

definitely ignore me. it's not like i had temperature problems on a laptop before and know just how hot they can get and the video card starts throttling down to save itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad (Post 2766507)
I need a laptop for school, it just so happens the specs I needed for school matched the specs of most gaming laptops.

frankly i'd have a netbook for mobility and then a desktop at home to do the heavy work, and a 16gb thumb drive in between, unless of course your classes need you there with a powerful laptop, most of the time i only needed a laptop on campus to follow lectures with online notes, anything else the department has its own computer labs for student use, with the relevant programs already installed.

Dogg3 07-26-2013 10:36 PM

The g series of laptops actually above a robust cooling system. You'll still be warm under heavy load, but usable.

Since you asked...

The problem is that the laptop is ridiculously heavy and still performs worse in games than even a low end gaming desktop ($600 range).

I say the ideal solution is to build a decent desktop and buy a midrange laptop. You'll normally come out around the same price, and you'll get a laptop that is good at laptop things and a gaming computer capable of handling most games at moderately high levels.

If you have a need for extreme power on the go, this all goes out the window, obviously. Among gaming laptops, you've chosen a fairly good one. I'm just not a fan of gaming laptops in general.