mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Anyone playing War Thunder?!

Yeah, I know it's still in Beta, but it's an open beta, and I've really enjoyed playing.

I don't think I've ever seen such a good-looking WWII flight-sim.

It's totally free to play (unless you WANT to pay money for something) and it's not terribly hard to level up into decent planes.
Even when you're in the process of earning new aircraft, you can still unlock paint jobs and parts upgrades for most of the old planes.
If you're into hardcore flight-sims, historical and/or full-real battles are pretty insane, and you really have to plan your attacks in advance or you'll get torn apart.

If you just want to relax and enjoy blowing stuff up, arcade battles are a ton of fun as well.

If any of you guys are playing, or interested in playing, I play fairly regularly, and would be willing to fly in a squad for arcade or historical battles...

Last edited by Nighthunter; 08-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Nighthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
It looks exactly like IL2 Strumovik: Birds of Prey. Like, I'v only seen videos but when you're choosing a plane its in the exact same hanger, the planes seem to handle the same and the Hud is the same. Now looking into its by the same developer. It looks fun, but I can't get hooked to another game. I played the crap out of AC6, and earned a reputation for being a slippery snake. If I get hooked I'll have even less of a social life.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

yeah, it uses the same engine from the IL-2 games iirc.

On another note, I really, really want to unlock some jets, but I'm barely halfway there :'( Besides that, my Corsairs and BF-109's are amazingly fun.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthunter View Post
yeah, it uses the same engine from the IL-2 games iirc.

On another note, I really, really want to unlock some jets, but I'm barely halfway there :'( Besides that, my Corsairs and BF-109's are amazingly fun.
MMMmmm. 109's are my favorite. I was so happy to fly one in il2. No cockpit view which really ticked me off.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

War Thunder does have cockpit view, as well as virtual cockpit and 3rd-person views...

109-F-4 has to be my favorite plane in the game... Not the fastest in a straight line, but can outclimb almost anyone; and the latest patch allows me to mount two more 20mm mg-151 cannons under the wings: I think I'm in dogfight heaven.

Anyway, I'm really hoping someone else who plays will turn up. I occasionally team up with one of my friends, but he plays mostly world of tanks now lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
60% More bullet

I used to play a lot, it got tiring because I wasn't willing to put up with the amount of hours it took to get new planes without throwing money at it, plus my internet sucks and is either unplayable at times or flat out drops connection entirely. I'll get on and (try to) play once and a while though.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

yeah, I wish they'd make it easier to unlock new planes... With the exception of maybe two nations, I'm kinda stuck grinding out planes I don't really like to get the planes that actually are worthwhile.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass N Wood Fan
I play! Germans are at lvl 13... Love the 190s. That said im having trouble with internet connection
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugler View Post
I play! Germans are at lvl 13... Love the 190s. That said im having trouble with internet connection
yeah, idk if it's my computer, or my internet, or both; but certain terrain features make me lag out... so I sometimes end up picking my fights based on how likely I am to start lagging :P.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in