mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Tablets

I want one.

I dont know jack about computers.

I use a HTC Droid Phone. Never really been super into the "Apple" thing....

I want something to send emails, browse the web
I want something I can show photo albums on (SSC Work @ Events)
I want something with a decent battery

Size... not super gigantic, but bigger than my phone

Apps I use:
Dropbox
Craigslist
Paypal
Photobucket
Gmail
Comcast (personal email)

A solid camera would be nice, but I do have a Nikon I use to take real pics

An external MicroSD would be Great...

Thoughts?
-Stanchy
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use a galaxy note 2...I got rid of my 10.2 samsung tablet and this does everything that did and more, 8mp camera, 16g hard drive 32g memory, 5.5 inch screen in hd, or they make a 7inch tablet...I truly believe samsung products are the best out there now.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
with that being said the note 3 will be out soon....If you take my suggestion I get $20 credit in free work!!!
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Bought both of my boys the Samsung Nexus 7. Very easy to use if you already have a Android based phone.

Google_Nexus_7_Tablets_109652 - Best Buy
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
I use a galaxy note 2...I got rid of my 10.2 samsung tablet and this does everything that did and more, 8mp camera, 16g hard drive 32g memory, 5.5 inch screen in hd, or they make a 7inch tablet...I truly believe samsung products are the best out there now.
with that being said the note 3 will be out soon....If you take my suggestion I get $20 credit in free work!!!
tablet not a phone :P
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
tablet not a phone :P
note 2 is a phablet...its all in one!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I use a Kobo Arc.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
I did the same, ditched a palm tablet running android. I love the concept of the note, especially the stylus, but the phone is a piece of crap, and so far everything Samsung I've ever owned has been a piece of crap.

I'm sold on the phablet form factor as a tablet replacement, it's way more useful, just nobody has released a decent device. It sucks that Samsung owns shares in Wacom and uses there stylus technology, as it is the best and won't be offered by other manufacturers.

The Note 2 comes with 2gb of ram and it constantly requires closing stuff down manually or it slows to a crawl.

Samsung's customer support and warranty sucks as well, which forces the carrier/retailer to also suck in providing any warranty service. Instead of swapping, or at least swapping for a refurb like every other phone company out there, they actually make you send it into a service depot to get fixed. This can take 2 weeks or more. And since my last 2 phones have been equally ****ty Samsung phones that broke I don't have a backup.

My menu key stopped working months ago and I've still yet to get it fixed. Every single Samsung product, tablet, phablet or phone has a crappy plastic fit and finish. A lot of their stuff uses that chrome coated plastic that chips off in a few months of use.

I've also yet to see a single good distro of Android from the factory. You shouldn't have to root a device and reflash or recompile just to have stable software for everyday use.

As much as I love to hate Apple, their customer service is the best, and there operating system is the most stable. I bought my girlfriend an ipad 2 a while back, put it in a defender hard case and it's been rock solid in terms of performance. It's way better then any Android tablet I've used.

I'm curious to see how good those new Microsoft Surface Pro's are. The RT version is nice but there's no software out for it. So far every other Windows 8 tablet hasn't been that great, the Dell one being the ****tiest I've used so far.

Something to consider, tablets, in their current form are a dead form factor.

In the next couple of years your going to see all smaller tablets combined with cell phones as phablets. Samsung's already releasing a 6.3" phablet and the next note is going to have a 5.7" screen size. The larger tablets will replace laptops with attachable keyboards and docking stations. These will all run full OS's, whether that's Mac OS (being merged with IOS), Windows (as of 8 already a tablet OS), or a fully merged Android/Linux distro (mostly there already).

Last edited by boo; 09-09-2013 at 03:12 PM.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

you must have gotten s crappy device...mine has been flawless from day 1 and the note 2 has 16g and 32g card...you sir must have the original note
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Henchemen Inc!

Send a message via AIM to vf-xx

My recommendation is either a used ASUS transformer (they have SD slots) the Nexus devices do not.

Otherwise, the Surface RT, really isn't as bad as it could be. It's a very simple device, but with a reasonably familiar interface. Just make sure you get a Type cover for it. Also, if you keep your eyes open, they appear to be clearancing them out now, so you can get one on the cheap. (Last week was a 32gb RT with touch cover for $200).
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vf-xx View Post
My recommendation is either a used ASUS transformer (they have SD slots) the Nexus devices do not.

Otherwise, the Surface RT, really isn't as bad as it could be. It's a very simple device, but with a reasonably familiar interface. Just make sure you get a Type cover for it. Also, if you keep your eyes open, they appear to be clearancing them out now, so you can get one on the cheap. (Last week was a 32gb RT with touch cover for $200).
ooooh

where did ya get that?!

the surface's look pretty sweet!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in