mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

OS X Mavericks

Who is happy with this? I did it to make some things easier like having compatible up to date software. There are little quirks that are quite annoying. Otherwise i'm ok with it. In an effort to keep digital rights management in control, I noticed that more purchases and updates are handled through the app store. while it's not a bad idea, it had me thoroughly confused for a moment as to why my other legacy programs wouldn't work on this OS. Opened the app store and I had newer versions available for free download. While that's not bad it cause d a quick five minute panic on my end.
Donut SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Have they sorted out the whole eating external drives thing?
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

My external drive isn't fried. So I hope so
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Most of the fury in other forums seems to suggest that it is mostly WD drives, but I've seen a few more isolated cases with other brands.

Personally I'm really impressed that such a bug made it that far through a QA process, even if it was purely on WD's end I would have expected them to have enough weight to be able to say "Hey, yeah, about your new OS... It is trashing our drives, and you know, a lot of your customers happen to use them for things like storage and backups..."

My laptop is the only apple product I own, but I think I'm going to wait another six months or so till the third party developers have more time work out their bugs. There are lots of weird things OSX has done with things like handling audio and graphics, which in turn leads to developers doing 'neat and cool things' (aka, horrible horrible hacks) to get their software to either just run, or run well. Of course, apple has this history of coming along and radically changing 'minor' things, which in turn totally breaks a lot of stuff.

10.9 is apparently changing lots of 'minor' things, and more than a few 'big' things, and it is causing all kinds of fun and 'interesting' headaches for software developers.

So far I've not gotten many hours logged against 10.9, one of my coworkers usually grabs the systems with that, so I'm always interested to hear what features and changes other people are finding as positives in 9, and what things are getting in their way.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I've had Mavericks on my Mac Air since it popped up and I downloaded it. So a week now? I haven't had an issue... That being said, I haven't seen much of any major improvements or features that have wowed me yet.
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
A Very Manly Muppet

Brass N Wood Fan
For me, a programming application (MaxMSP) has some very annoying crashing issues with Mavericks. Minsicule to the general Mac community, but since it's software I use for my univeristy classes, it can be annoying.

Things I have for sale or trade : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ocker-f-s.html
BillyTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Most of the fury in other forums seems to suggest that it is mostly WD drives, but I've seen a few more isolated cases with other brands.
My Ex HDD is a WD. I'm hoping it doesn't get obliterated somehow. I've got family pictures on there that I don't want to lose :/

The only change I've noticed is the extra upgrading on programs I've already had that were limited to the last version of the OS I was running. Functionally, nothing is different in the simpler end of things.

One thing I don't like anymore is that the bottom of the finder window used to have a status on how much HDD space was left. It's a tiny gripe but I like knowing what's available on the fly instead of having to open up the about section to see what room I have left.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Has anyone else noticed the changes they made to Preview and Quicktime? I can't open GoPro files anymore without having to convert them first, which is incredibly frustrating. Not sure whats causing that yet, I would assume a missing codec, but I don't know why they would drop support for some codec.
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

More small things I've noticed. Changing file names can't be clicked to initiate like before. Scrolling in finder windows is buggy. Scrolling in Safari is buggy as well, sometimes it won't read the scrolling motion
Old 11-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I haven't installed it yet, school wifi is way to unstable for big downloads. I might hold off on it longer now.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in