mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
How reliable are wireless headsets?

I'm looking to pick up a replacement for my old Razer headset and I'm thinking about trying one of the Logitech wireless headsets. Does anyone have experience with these? I've always stayed away from wireless peripherals but with my new setup I'd like to avoid having cords stretched across the room. I'm not looking for high quality sound, just something that is reliable, durable, and doesn't sound like complete garbage.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I have the logitech g930 wireless, absolutely love them cept for the fact after ayear and a half the right side suddenly stopped working. I did buy another set just thsi week though they were only 60 bucks by then.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

I made the move to wireless a few years ago when I got tired of replacing good quality not cheep headphones because the wire would break internally.

I have a few wireless Sennheiser headphones. one is a large "home theater" version with a "cradle" base unit to set and charge the headphones replaceable AA batteries (x2). I like that they can be replaced with off the shelf easily accessible batteries and can be recharged by just putting the headphones on the cradle. They sound great, since the base stays stationary I used a little trial and error to find the best place to set the base up and get reception throughout my entire house and most of my back yard. I get a little static when i go near large appliances like the fridge.

the second set I own is a more portable Sennheiser set I use at work. if I set my iPod (with Bluetooth adapter) on a high shelf I can get reception in the that carries right out of the office all the way to the washroom. If I really wanted I could just carry the iPod in my pocket and be good everywhere I go. This set up is also great for activities like I can ride my bike with the iPod in my backpack and not have to deal with wires, the headphones even have options to pause/skip music and if paired with my phone it can interrupt the music to answer the phone with out having to touch anything, unlike a standard phone Bluetooth you hear the voice of the caller in both ears with good enough quality that its tricked me making me forget I'm on the phone, Ive caught myself turning to look at the speaker multiple times but no one was there. the batteries are the flat style so not as easy to come by and these headphones need to be plugged in to charge so its not quite as convenient in that sense as the home theater set.

both sets are great sound quality, keeping the source near by is always ideal but if your moving around a lot you will notice "dead zones" if your leaving your sound source stationary (IE not on your person) its not a bad idea to try setting it up in different places (if you can) since thick walls and equipment can interfere with the quality and create those dead zones.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
How's the battery life on those wireless headsets?
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

I just got an Astro A50 headset. It's my first wireless headset, and so far I've been impressed. I can use it all day (I had some time off and literally started playing at 6:30am and it was still going at 6pm). Great sound quality, much better than my Logitech G35 which I thought was unbeatable. The problem I have with Logitech is the covering over the ear pieces tends to shed off after a while. Didn't hurt performance, but was quite annoying when after a little gaming, my wife tries to burn a tick off my face only to find out that it was a part of the headset... The Astro headset earpieces are a soft cloth that I think will prove more durable in the long run. Also, I like the size of the ear cups on the Astro over the Logitech or Razer headphones. They just fit my head better and are much more comfortable for long game times. Being compatible with my XBox 360 and my PC is a plus as well.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

the portable ones I have are the MM100 they last all day at work (8hrs) tho sometimes they die within the last half hour or so before I leave but that is with non stop listing.
Sennheiser Canada Inc. - MM 100

the "home theater" ones I have are the RS136 I don't think I have ever ran them dead, according to their website they claim they will last 22 hours on a charge. the RS136 run off an RF frequency as apposed to the MM100 witch are Bluetooth, I'm assuming this factors into their power consumption plus the RS136 uses bigger batteries.
Sennheiser Canada Inc. - RS 136
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
ive been using the g930 for a few years now. only thing i dont like is you cant charge them when the computer is off (like at night)

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in