mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Hardware help

Ok, so my kid want's a new PC. Not usually a challenge but I haven't built one in a while. He's hoping for an i5 or i7 (might as well shoot for the stars right?). Mostly I think he just wants something a lot faster than the hand-me-down he's running now.

So Black Friday I picked up a case, PSU and a Sata 3 SSD drive. I was considering making him buy / earn the rest of the components but I also thought it would be crappy to get 1/3 of a PC for christmas. I decided a better road might be to get it up to an OK running PC and he can work on upgrades.

I do have some decent video cards floating around so just gonna re-use one. Main question is the motherboard / CPU / memory combo. I'm thinking of going with a decent LGA1150 socket board then a pretty cheap proc. The LGA1155 might be smart as well as I may even have a compatible proc (free) and I doubt he'll earn anything more than an i5 anywhere in the near future.

AMD is a thought as well. I used to run them and they were fine but seems like they're not as mainstream anymore and a bit behind the curve. Dunno...

Full size board is ok. Do prefer 4 memory slots. Don't care much about audio as long as it works.

So who is current on hardware and has some thoughts?
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

i5s are nothing to sneeze at, and in fact will actually out preform i7s at similar price points in some cases (And can even blow Hyper Threaded processors out of the water in a few rare ones.)

It is hard to really complain about something from intel in the low 3ghz range paired with 8 to 16GB ram and an SSD for the OS. Do remember a spinning disk or two for bulk data. I would only consider an i3 for super budget systems that aren't expected to do much in the way of heavy number crunching.

Haven't really been a huge fan of AMD's offerings for the most part, but I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the last year or so of processors.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Yeah I got a pile of spinning hard drives and quite a sizable NAS for media stuff. I picked him up a 120 gig SSD which should be enough. I checked his space usage on what he has now and he's not even close to 120 gigs. Even so if he fills it up with junk he'll just have to work for something better.

I'm torn on the intel sockets. 1155 is a bit cheaper for both boards and procs but also outdated. 1150 will have a longer run.... hmm...

I wasn't thinking of an i5 or i7 initially. I was thinking like celeron on an 1150. On a 1155 I probably already have some piece of **** proc to toss in. Hell I have several older "decent" board / proc / memory combos as well but I didn't want to play the whole reload the OS game if he got new parts.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in