mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Need help setting up headphones and speakers.

I'm looking to set up some headphones and speakers on my PC but I can only get one or the other to work but not both. I'd like to use the headphones for games and the speakers for movies like my old setup.

The only thing that changed are the headphones. The old ones had a 3.5mm jack that plugged into the sound card and required a splitter cable so I could also run my speakers off of the same sound card. The new headphones now plug in via USB and the speakers plug directly into the sound card without needing a splitter.

Previously, I had the old headphones set as the default device and my speakers would still work. I could run both at the same time or I could run one for games and switch to the other for movies. I can't do this with my new headphones. I'd like to use both but to do so I have go into the Windows sound options and manually switch one or the other to Default Device.

Any ideas?
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I think you might be in a bind. As far as I know, windows will only output sound to one 'device' at a time. In your case, your soundcard is one device, and your USB headphones are another device (USB headphones use CPU to render sound).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I have the same problem, have a headset with wireless usb stick.

the only way for mine to work is to just go into the sound settigns and just set either one as default when I want to use it. Though about 50% of the time it'll connect automatically, so go figure.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
I have the same problem, have a headset with wireless usb stick.

the only way for mine to work is to just go into the sound settigns and just set either one as default when I want to use it. Though about 50% of the time it'll connect automatically, so go figure.
That's because you set one of them as a default so, whenever, it's connected, windows tries to switch to it.

In my setup, the HDMI is set at default if I remember correctly. But, like you said, it's not 100% reliable. Mine is nearly 100% but, I'm not just switching audio, and I must do things in the proper sequence, i.e.:

Going from receiver/projector to monitor:
Use windows to switch display (it thinks I'm doing something like a laptop to projector switch)
Wait for series of 'device connected' beeps (like when you plug something in via USB)
Turn off receiver
Turn off projector

If I turn off receiver after display switched but, before the beeps, god help me....
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I found the problem.

G35/USB Headset and desk top speakers? - Logitech Forums
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Okay, new problem..

I can't hear people over Steam, TS3, or in-game voice. I can hear everything else just fine but can't hear people.

Never buying another USB headset again.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in