mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

What the heck happened to RAM prices?

When I built my desktop I could get 2x4 GB of RAM for $40 all day long. I just looked at Newegg and the same RAM is $85

I thought the free 8 GB of DDR3 RAM I got a while ago wasn't worth it to sell and now it's $63
Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

A fire at one of the big plants is "allegedly" to blame, that was some time ago. Memory manufacturers are very busy making non volatile memory nowadays which is maybe a factor? Not to mention increased memory demands in mobile device market. Besides the obvious supply and demand issue with demand rising quicker than new plants, I guess what it really comes down to, is that people are gonna buy it regardless if the price is hiked :P
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Almost sounds like the thing with HDDs a while back where the soared in price. I think a hdd that was 80 bucks was suddenly 150 in a few weeks.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Almost sounds like the thing with HDDs a while back where the soared in price. I think a hdd that was 80 bucks was suddenly 150 in a few weeks.
That one was actually due to flooding in Taiwan and several of the major HDD makers had to close their factories for quite some time and apparently quite a bit of product was lost so prices as a result went up because supply was quite limited for a while. I can see the same thing happening with RAM if there truly was a fire at a plant. Not to mention supply/demand curve. Realistically though I think the market was spoiled by low prices for a long time and now things are just catching up to themselves. Case in point I remember building my first rig back in high school and 40GB HDD were the budget sweet spot at the time and were $99, RAM was around $80/512MB and decent motherboards were $150 or more and this was MB's that had integrated graphics and such. The REALLY high end stuff was $400+. I also remember paying $150 for a 128MB Geforce FX5200 that I had and with prices being what they were that was a total score.

TL;DR people need to stop b*tching and realize that prices will go up and go down and we've all enjoyed rock bottom prices for quite a few years now.

Feedback +36/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Yea, the low priced ram somewhat suprized me, my old computer was built using DDR2 ram, stuff was pricey, I think 2gigs was 140 or so. My last build suprized the hell out of me when 16gigs was only like 90 bucks.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

supply and demand. do you think that $40 for 8gb of ram was normal price??
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
That was pretty sad when the 1TB drives that were around $100 suddenly became $200 almost overnight. Last I checked they had come back down pretty quick though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
supply and demand. do you think that $40 for 8gb of ram was normal price??
It was about $40 to $50 for a couple years it seemed so I figured it was the normal price. $60 if you wanted the "high-end" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
TL;DR people need to stop b*tching and realize that prices will go up and go down and we've all enjoyed rock bottom prices for quite a few years now.
One of the most important things I learned in my life so far is to always be nice even if the another person is being Mr. Grumpy Pants.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
It was about $40 to $50 for a couple years it seemed so I figured it was the normal price. $60 if you wanted the "high-end" stuff.
well, it goes up and down, but the average price is typically way higher. get it while you can, i guess, because it's only going to get more expensive.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in