mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm running a Corsair H110 with my i7 4770k - it's very quiet (140mm fans are) and cold as ice.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Might be worth it for blender, probably not needed for photoshop though. Are you getting an SSD? If you want an h100i I have one brand new in the shrink wrap/box that I could sell/trade to you. Received 1 for Christmas last year but have had one for a while already.
I was thinking about trying one of the hybrid hard drives. SSDs in the size I would need are still pretty spendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
what do you use blender for?
Nothing big right now.. I'm still learning my way around the program. Product designs maybe?
CCM Photographer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

i've been water-cooled since 2001; it's perfectly fine as long as you test and use hose clamps. i have a custom-made loop though; way more robust than those little closed loop all-in-one deals (corsair, antec, etc). i think it would be good for a little matx case as long as it fits.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post

Nothing big right now.. I'm still learning my way around the program. Product designs maybe?
i've used it, it's more for art and animation. maybe you'll have an easier time with some kind of cad program.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

A little less than three years ago, I built a custom closed loop cooling system in this build.

The cooling loop runs from a Drive Bay Reservoir (Koolance RP-401X2) with a Pump (Koolance PMP-400), that goes to the CPU (with a Koolance block), to each of my graphic cards (6950s in crossfire with EK Water Block's GPU blocks and, a crossfire connector block), then to a single 120mm radiator, and a 3x120 radiator (that replaced the top panel of my case). At the lowest point in the loop, I installed a drain port to make draining it a bit easier. All of the hoses are 3/8ths with barb style fittings and hose clamps. I'm using Koolance's liquid coolant mainly since I'm using their components, and they'll warranty the components if I use their coolant. I later added a pump controller and I've been happy with it.

I'm just now getting a bit beyond their recommended maintenance interval (2-3 yrs) and I've been checking for any signs of fouling and I've not seen any. My only regret is that when I put it together I hadn't come across any discussion of high pressure vs high flow fans so, of course I went for Antec TruQuiet fans and while quiet, they're optimized for flow so, they don't provide the static pressure I should be using for my radiators.

As for closed (all in one loops), I've seen enough reviews of them to be confident that if you get one by a well known company, you won't go wrong for a simple cpu cooling solution. I don't know if I'd go for one of the more recent modular designs I've seen (I can't remember the make, just that they sold a product that could later be upgraded with a GPU add on). At that point, I'd say just build a custom loop.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I'll have to send you a pic of mine. MiniITX in a prodigy case with a gtx780 and 4770k. Used a H100i cooler for the cpu, keeps it below 40c at all times. The GPU heat is my main problem, usually gets a toasty 75-80 on the card, though if I take the unvented side panel off it drops almost 20 degrees.

And everyone swears about getting the i5 over the i7 but the way I figured it, it wasn't like I was skimping elsewhere to build this so I might as well just get the i7.

Lately I've been reccomending mini ITX to a few people due to the fact if you're not running SLI or 4 sticks of memory, why build a huge bulking computer. I'm still even intrested in getting that EVGA case once they get a few bugs worked out, maybe even go for the water cooled one if that ever gets released.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.

Last edited by JLuke; 04-21-2014 at 12:04 PM.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post

Lately I've been reccomending mini ITX to a few people due to the fact if you're not running SLI or 4 sticks of memory, why build a huge bulking computer. I'm still even intrested in getting that EVGA case once they get a few bugs worked out, maybe even go for the water cooled one if that ever gets released.
This is pretty much why I want to go with a mITX. I never run more than one GPU and I don't see me needing more than 16GB of ram. It'll also look nicer next to the TV.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
This is pretty much why I want to go with a mITX. I never run more than one GPU and I don't see me needing more than 16GB of ram. It'll also look nicer next to the TV.
At the same time though, it's possible to stuff a whole second system in a certain regular-sized ATX cases

That's my project this summer.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
At the same time though, it's possible to stuff a whole second system in a certain regular-sized ATX cases

That's my project this summer.
My project for this summer is a custom wooden case/desk designed to support multiple systems. A main work station, and then storage/media server, and design space for a few rack mount servers I can add in later if I find use for them. All in polished brass and wood. Because why go for cheap plastic and pressed sheet metal when you can have polished brass and wood?

Biggest thing I want from the case is something that fits well within a work space, with room for loads of hard drives. Most cases don't support nearly the number of drives that I want them to.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Has anyone heard of ASrock? They weren't around the last time I built a PC but they seem to be big on motherboards.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in