mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
Has anyone heard of ASrock? They weren't around the last time I built a PC but they seem to be big on motherboards.
They're kinda sorta an offshoot of Asus. I believe some of their boards are made on the same machinery as Asus as well.

Which board are you looking at? I guess the B85 Killer board can overclock even though the B85 chipset technically shouldn't be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
My project for this summer is a custom wooden case/desk designed to support multiple systems. A main work station, and then storage/media server, and design space for a few rack mount servers I can add in later if I find use for them. All in polished brass and wood. Because why go for cheap plastic and pressed sheet metal when you can have polished brass and wood?

Biggest thing I want from the case is something that fits well within a work space, with room for loads of hard drives. Most cases don't support nearly the number of drives that I want them to.
How many drives do you need? Most ATX cases I've seen come with 6 drives or so.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
I could easily house 13 or so drives in a system and make good use of them. Multiple RAID 10 assemblies can really speed up work flows on some projects I deal with.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Multiple RAID 10 assemblies
Oh, yeah, that'll use up disk space pretty fast. If you wanted something quick and easy to mount I know Corsair sells their hard drive cages online. That was my initial plan for a NAS box, grab a bunch of cages and mount those inside a custom case since I figured they'd be the safest and easiest way to mount a bunch of hard drives.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
They're kinda sorta an offshoot of Asus. I believe some of their boards are made on the same machinery as Asus as well.

Which board are you looking at? I guess the B85 Killer board can overclock even though the B85 chipset technically shouldn't be able to.

Nothing in particular, I was just looking at the brand in general. I'll probably be going with an ASUS or EVGA motherboard since I've had no problems with either of those.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
i love EVGA, they are always about 6 months behind on chipset implementation though.. which is frustrating

i use an H100i in my system, mounting was kind of a pain in the *** as i have a corsair 500R (which has a place specifically to mount a closed loop system) and i was trying to make it "clean"

i think i did an okay job though.. was a LOT easier when i remembered i can take the top off

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 04-21-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i've used it, it's more for art and animation. maybe you'll have an easier time with some kind of cad program.
Blender is definitely an art and animation program. The i7 may give you a better experience with it, but your graphics card will be the biggest improvement.

For design, try using Google Sketchup instead. Blender is not really a program you can fool around with and meddle your way through effectively. There is a good wiki source called "Blender: Noob to Pro" (free) and CGI Masters have some really good training DVDs for a reasonable price.

Sorry for the thread hijack...
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
How much wattage would you guys recommend on an i5 / gtx770 / 16gb ram / 2 drives? Wattage calculators say 500-600 but that seems awful low. I'm thinking maybe around 850 just to be sure? I usually go overkill on PSUs in my builds..
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Bought my kid an AsRock gaming motherboard around the holidays. Price was good and it's a nice board so far. No complaints. PSU size seems ok as that's not a ton of hardware. There's a lot less crap in PCs anymore with more integrated and less add-on cards and stupid cd / dvd drives so I believe power requirements should be less than a few years ago. I think SSD drives are better on power as well. Video cards are usually the big power vortex. Larger wouldn't hurt but I'd definitely go for quality over quantity. Maybe a nice modular 750?

Luckless you're way out of desktop realm there. You need some actual disk arrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
How much wattage would you guys recommend on an i5 / gtx770 / 16gb ram / 2 drives? Wattage calculators say 500-600 but that seems awful low. I'm thinking maybe around 850 just to be sure? I usually go overkill on PSUs in my builds..
500w to 600w sounds about right. I have a Xeon E3, GTX 770, 16 GB of RAM, an SSD, a 2.5" drive, and a 3.5" drive and my Seasonic X650 powers it great.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
yep, have an i7 with a GTX780, one ssd and one normal hdd with 16 gigs of ram and 600wats runs it fine with slight overclock on the GPU

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in