mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #51 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

So, I'm thinking you need to understand the differences between the "K", "T" and "S" variants of a given Core and Model number. The "K" models are explained on the chart- they are top of the line and unlocked which is only useful for those are going to be overclocking. As best I can tell, the others have differing Thermal Design Powers with the regular and "K" models supporting 84W, the "S" model supporting 65W and the T model supporting 45W. This corresponds to each processor's clock speed and max turbo frequency.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

4th gen i7's
4th gen i5's

No suffix means it is the 'normal', basic version of that processor
'K' suffix means it can be overclocked
'S' suffix means lower power (65w vs. 84w)
'T' suffix means even lower power (45w vs. 84w)
'R' suffix means lower power (65w vs. 84w) AND better integrated graphics
Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
reading all this makes me want to go home and stress test my chip and check the temps

Tracker
Well, you won't really have to stress test. My chip degraded down to throttling at 50% usage(100C+!). I think I had a bad chip and decided to take drastic measures because I didn't want to deal with long distance warranties(now and in the future), since this computer is used for work. I also upgraded my cooling solution and am now in a comfortable range.

It stays under 89C now, even when it gets up to 95F in my room(this computer is a furnace).
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #54 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Well, you won't really have to stress test. My chip degraded down to throttling at 50% usage(100C+!). I think I had a bad chip and decided to take drastic measures because I didn't want to deal with long distance warranties(now and in the future), since this computer is used for work. I also upgraded my cooling solution and am now in a comfortable range.

http://i.imgur.com/rlRYmKW.jpg

It stays under 89C now, even when it gets up to 95F in my room(this computer is a furnace).
I don't know what processors you and Tracker are running but, if I had a 3rd Gen Core chip, and any aftermarket cooling solution, I'd do it.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

Mine is staying around 79F/26C no matter what the temp is in my house. 89C seems a bit high. Are your fans sounding like a C-130 taking off of an aircraft carrier? I'm running an i7 3930k at 3.2GHz. It's an older gen i7 but I have had it for two years. When I was having problems with temps running that high, it was a motherboard problem.
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #56 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebFisher View Post
Mine is staying around 79F/26C no matter what the temp is in my house. 89C seems a bit high. Are your fans sounding like a C-130 taking off of an aircraft carrier? I'm running an i7 3930k at 3.2GHz. It's an older gen i7 but I have had it for two years. When I was having problems with temps running that high, it was a motherboard problem.
Your 26C is at idle right? If you are getting that at full load, I really want to know what you are doing.

My 89C is at 90-100% load on both CPU and GPU. At idle, temps drop to high 30's. I have a fairly airflow restrictive case, an old 1st gen Antec P180 that is full with 6 HDD, 1 SSD. It's pretty quiet but probably hotter now that I switched over from high CFM rated to high static pressure fans and I have the fan controllers set conservatively. They won't go full speed until I hit roughly 85C, and even then, its relatively quiet. I can game or do things with sound with no issues. I just need it super quiet when I'm doing work stuff.

Here's a bad pic of my ugly setup.

i7 4770
gtx770
7 HDD
1 SSD
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #57 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Here's a bad pic of my ugly setup.
http://i.imgur.com/XqWYZ0D.jpg
Just installed those same fans into my case. They look great.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Need your guy's opinion here...

This is the first time I've seen a PCI-E slot like this before.

It looks like the GPU doesn't sit down all of the way but it doesn't go in anymore than this.

Here it is from the back side of the case. See the gap between the two plates?

Screwing down the plates pulls the back end of the GPU down and starts to bend the motherboard. So.. GPU not sitting all of the way down or just how the case is? Asking because I haven't seen this in the PC's I've built previously.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Oh, that's not uncommon from what I've seen. I've just firmly placed the GPU in the socket then screw the thumbscrews in until they're firm against the GPU, but not tight enough to bend them. You don't really even need screws at all unless you are literally turn your case upside down and shaking it.

EDIT: Oh, and that style PCIE socket does that on other motherboards from what I have seen as well. My MSI Z77A-GD55 motherboard has the same style and they do raise up the card now that I think about it.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Okay.. glad it's not a huge issue then. My last two motherboards had little tabs on the PCI-E slots that made a nice click when a card was properly seated.

I think I'll try a spacer or washer on the back plate and see if I can keep the GPU tightened down without tweaking it or the motherboard. I would leave the screws out if I could but I think I'd get a lot of vibration with it unsecured.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in