View Poll Results: Which would you get?
Motorola Moto X 2 6.25%
Samsung Galaxy S4 19 59.38%
LG Lucid 3 0 0%
LG G2 1 3.13%
Something else entirely 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Smartphone choices

In a few weeks, I'm due for an upgrade on my phone through Verizon. I've looked at all the other major carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T) and determined that I'm probably going to pay through the nose with any of them, so I may as well stick with VZ. That whole "devil you know" thing.

Anyway, my current phone (Motorola Droid 4) has a fantastic physical keyboard, but absolutely everything else about the phone has been a huge disappointment. The screen sucks. The camera sucks. I do a factory restore about every 4 months just to keep it functional. The Droid4 is essentially the Edsel of smartphones. My previous phone (R2D2 Droid2) was a great little phone, but the keyboard was a little too small and it's only a 3G device (those are the only reasons I "upgraded" to the D4). It now serves as my alarm clock and occasional gaming device.

Anyhoo, when Moto released the Moto X, it really seemed like they were turning things around, so I had my heart set on getting that. As it turns out, that's one of the "free" upgrade choices I have. However, given how bad my experience was with the D4, I'm not sure I'm willing to give Moto another chance.

Aside from the Moto X, I could also (for "free") get a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an LG Lucid 3 (my wife has the original Lucid and it's been a champ for the last 2 years). OR, for $50 (OK, $49.99), I could get an LG G2. Given what I already pay monthly for our two phones and service, I refuse to pay more than $50 at "upgrade" time. I also looked at the Verizon "EDGE" service, but found that the only real advantage is the ability to upgrade sooner, which isn't a big deal for me. I don't need to have the latest & greatest device; I just want something reliable.

So, the question to all of you (and I'd prefer answers from experience with any of these devices rather than the fanboyish "get XXX cause all their stuff is the best" type reply) is which would you get:
  • Motorola Moto X
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • LG Lucid 3
  • LG G2
  • Something else entirely

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Verizon actually gave me a decent discount when my phone went off contract (like $20 a month). Doing the math that gives me (over two years) $240 + whatever the cost of the phone I want at discount is ($50) so about $300 to buy a phone every two years. I can buy a used whatever I want for that price range or just above and be entirely off contract. I have found I get better service from CS when I call them off contract and need issues resolved.

Just a thought
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grand Exalted Ruler

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
I think Cameron(something) on here is a retail phone guy for one of the major carriers, might want to look him up.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Three of my family members have iphone 5c's, one a 5s, and I have a moto x. I have been perfectly happy with the moto x against their iphones, and sometimes they get jealous.

The moto x camera reviews are behind the iphone, but I think the high resolution is the feature and the flaw. It likes lots of light and it is a bit slow. Beyond that, the stills are great. I made a slo-mo of a drag race that came out great considering my viewpoint. As the lighting goes down, the blurring from shaking and motion increase. When I want real pictures, I get a camera with a lens anyway.

I did turn off the verbal commands. It still handles calls and text messages while I'm driving, but it kept google searching random speech from meetings and the radio, so I turned off the auto-command. I may try to train it again. The speaker isn't great, but I don't expect much from anything that size. The iphones are louder, but not much better.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Three of my family members have iphone 5c's, one a 5s, and I have a moto x. I have been perfectly happy with the moto x against their iphones, and sometimes they get jealous.

The moto x camera reviews are behind the iphone, but I think the high resolution is the feature and the flaw. It likes lots of light and it is a bit slow. Beyond that, the stills are great. I made a slo-mo of a drag race that came out great considering my viewpoint. As the lighting goes down, the blurring from shaking and motion increase. When I want real pictures, I get a camera with a lens anyway.

I did turn off the verbal commands. It still handles calls and text messages while I'm driving, but it kept google searching random speech from meetings and the radio, so I turned off the auto-command. I may try to train it again. The speaker isn't great, but I don't expect much from anything that size. The iphones are louder, but not much better.
Having a decent camera in-phone is a plus, but not a requirement. When I want to take pictures, I use my DSLR, which (to my wife's chagrin) I take just about everywhere we go. Same with speakers. I sometimes listen to music or podcasts on my phone, but on the train where I need to use headphones anyway.

In terms of durability, how has the Moto X been? Not that I'm rough on them, but cell phones have a habit of falling from tables (or being pushed by curios cats) or getting splashed with water/rained on when I forget an umbrella.

FWIW, a lot of folks have said "Just get an iPhone", but as much as I love Apple's computers and software, I just don't like iOS.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
Having a decent camera in-phone is a plus, but not a requirement. When I want to take pictures, I use my DSLR, which (to my wife's chagrin) I take just about everywhere we go. Same with speakers. I sometimes listen to music or podcasts on my phone, but on the train where I need to use headphones anyway.

In terms of durability, how has the Moto X been? Not that I'm rough on them, but cell phones have a habit of falling from tables (or being pushed by curios cats) or getting splashed with water/rained on when I forget an umbrella.

FWIW, a lot of folks have said "Just get an iPhone", but as much as I love Apple's computers and software, I just don't like iOS.
I keep it in an otter box case and it has only hit the concrete twice, so I can't really speak on durability. It hasn't gotten wet either. My daughters do the durability testing, which I have to admit the iP5's seem to be doing well.

I couldn't put up with Apple's apps nor itunes. I have lots of android apps that replace old things (music, HP calculators and some Palm stuff) and new stuff like Torque (bluetoothed) and Waze for our cars.

I also have chromecast, so I flip youtube and netflix up sometimes, and team viewer to run casting from the house PC. I think you can get all of that stuff on iphones and the other phones, but it does work well from the moto x and without Apple's permission.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Of all your choices I'd go for an S4 if it were a free upgrade. I personally love the Samsung UI and other things about them and have had samsung phones for the last about 3 1/2 years now. Just recently upraded from my S2X to a Note 2 and I'm loving it. BTW you can unlock an S4 yourself for free if you do a little google searching so there is an upside to the samsung phones on resale value with that said.

Feedback +36/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Samsung S5 over the S4 easily. I would get the S5 sport.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have an S4, and I like it a lot. Getting an S5 probably this weekend. The camera is good, quick, and has awesome features, like making gifs that animate only part of your picture, but not the rest. I like pretty much everything about it, just ready for a new one (I can be like that some times...especially with paintball markers).

As for a case, the one I have is slimmer than an Otterbox, and super durable. The brand is D30. The salesman at the phone store who sold me the S4, had one of these cases on his iphone, then dropped his phone from arm height in front of me. It just bounced on the hard concrete floor. If I get a new S5 (and you get an S4), you can have my case if you like, it wont fit the new phone.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
lew
For Official Use Only

I have a Samsung S3 and my wife has the S5. They are both fantastic phones.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in