mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Drachen, will you be getting this for XB1? I never played the beta and you guys are making it sound like groups may be required but the trailers and such look good to me
Yep, I'll be getting it for sure. Even the PVE will to a certain extent require groups. Panda and a bunch of the destiny guys are getting it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
The DZ hate is all over the beta feedback forums. It definitely added another level of stress and tension that I did enjoy, but the insta-deathmatch isn't what I'm looking for. I guess I want the tougher enemies - even against other players, but I just don't want it get TK'd all day. Make it some logical faction thing in character creation. You either join the Division or you join the rebel guys. Maybe to get the good gear you need to do raids into the other groups territory. THAT would be cool.
I kinda do agree with you, in that I hope they add some other versus modes. But the way the DZ is designed is something different. Did you ever play Kane and Lynch? In the Division you lose rank and money for dying, even more while dying ad a rogue. But in Kane and Lynch there was little reason not to stab each other in the back and kill your team. The Division is a little different, you get marked for all to see if you went rogue. As you continue to go rogue your level of wanted goes up until a active manhunt goes into effect.

In the beta there was little reason to worry about going rogue. You had nothing lasting to lose. The main game will be different
Your long term stats could be hurt.

I know a number of people didn't dig the DZ, and most of the casual players will hate it, but try to look at it from a story point of view. It's the end of the world as we know it, it's you vs the world and you're part of this "Division", you could go straight and work with others, or you could be the aggressor. Most games give that role to NPCs, and the players go after them. Instead of it being a boring same old TDM, or players vs npc battle, players are taking a more active role in it. If you didn't go rogue (on purpose) then I highly recommend it. It was a blast. Grenade, grenade, machine gun...everyone is dead and I fully loaded a extraction helof lol.

I really really hope the people that need to have their hand held, and everything handed to them with little to no actual risk (and I'm not talking about dying at this check point and needing to restart) takes the fun out of something new only to go back to the same old boring experience you can get fromy any other hundreds of other modern shooters. Take a risk.
Current Collection: Azodin KP3 - GOG Enmey - AGD ULE Mag - Bob Long Defiant - Empire Axe - AM-P Illusion - Tippmann 68 Carbine - Tippmann SL 68 II - ICD Promaster - Tippmann 98 Custom (x2) - Smart Parts Ion (x2) - System X Type X
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Sounds like you enjoyed the dz, killing everyone and taking their loot so this fits your style. To each his own. If you killed me I probably cursed your name and called you a E-loser so I feel better.

Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
So say we all!

CCM Fan
Unfortunately once I hit level 8, the game got boring quick. I do think that is going to be one of the biggest things to keep people from getting bored and trolling. Keep the PVE aspect of the game interesting and engaging. If they dont, the game will ultimately boil down to a GTA online type of game. Trolls R Us will be it.

I didn't start out liking it, but once you get killed a couple times trying to extract, the gloves cone off and everybody is a target haha.
Current Collection: Azodin KP3 - GOG Enmey - AGD ULE Mag - Bob Long Defiant - Empire Axe - AM-P Illusion - Tippmann 68 Carbine - Tippmann SL 68 II - ICD Promaster - Tippmann 98 Custom (x2) - Smart Parts Ion (x2) - System X Type X
Old 02-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

I get shot for just exploring an extraction zone everyone just became paranoid and started shooting on site, i'm one guy. I tried ambushing one but they just keep absorbing my bullets first shot was at the head and 30 seconds later I'm dead from 2s of gunfire, can't tell how much power they have compared to you, and it appeared they were not using health abilities.

Music Videos - Check out my channel
NEW: Write it Down
Walk Away
ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
So say we all!

CCM Fan
This is a post by Simulacrum7 on reddit that pretty much summed up the beta for me. Those that played it I'm sure you will likely agree with at least some of what he said.
Quote:
(Here's a thread to fight the withdrawal! Itís long, but what else do you have to do?)

Like many here, playing the beta this weekend was one of those rare times when I fall in love with video games all over again.

And like many here, I've spent the last few days trying to understand why this game is so deeply divisive in reviews, in this community, even among my closest friends.

Some of us ran out of hours in the day to play it. Other rage quit minutes into the Dark Zone. Why? I think I've figured out part of it.

The universe of the Division is actually a deeply moral one. Good vs. Evil. Light zones and dark zones. Virtuous or Rogue. It's like Walking Dead, Last of Us or The Road...only in this fallen world there are good guys (and more than just one good guy like Mad Max or Book of Eli!)

From the wonderful live action promo films (the Medic) to the trailers ("someone has to stand up and take it back") to the environment (my glorious NYC in ruins / the ghosts of the diseased and murdered as digital bits adrift in the snow) to the game play we experienced (handing out supplies to desperate AI / banding together with strangers) the game universe is powered by an emotion rarely tapped by games - compassion.

I've rarely experienced such sudden and surprising moments of crushing gratitude and kindness towards others in a game. That Game Company's indi masterpiece Journey did it through its beautiful solo/coop blend of play. Last of Us did it with a moving in game relationship and hauntingly sad environments.

Both are ultimately stories about mortality and sacrifice, trust and compassion for others especially in the face of unbeatable odds.

The Division Beta had enough there to clearly signal that both its world and its gaming mechanics have what it takes to make trust and compassion central to the story, tactics, and player relationships that drive it forward.

And boy or boy are there ways to drive forward in this game:

1)SOLO: You can go solo like The Road and have an experience that combines powerfully lyrical moments of solitary reflection with *** clenching hiding in the shadows as the true monsters - other people - emerge from the midnight snow. I never did see a dog take a ****, but I did see an AI woman collapse in the snow and convulse for 30 seconds before dying. If that makes you feel something then you get the game.

2) COOP: You can turn it into a buddy movie, post-apocalyptic road tripping adventure like Last of Us or Journey. Many of you commented that you actually did that with a stranger in the Beta who within hours became a close friend. If you feel how special that is then you understand this game.

3) SQUAD: You can go squad play and you can choose what game you want to play with groups of others:

loot and escape like a temple rain in Indiana Jones

serve and protect like RoboCop

gangland Mexican standoff like Reservoir Dogs

bank heist and get away like Heat

seek out Revenent-like vengeance in the snow

More likely your group will experience all of these during only a few hours of Dark Zone play. You can always choose to seek out and initiate these experiences and sometimes they choose you. But these moments are emergent and absolutely thrilling in their diversity and memorability. If you feel like youíre making stories and memories and not kill streaks or stats, you understand this game.

4) WORLD BUILDER: Some squads can even choose to become super squads by joining forces and working to control part of the Dark Zone, DayZ or EVE style. Playing four 4 hours with eight guys + supportive lone wolves allows you to create real law in regions of the DZ with rogues being cut down in seconds or hunted mercilessly for as long as necessary. And even if a rogue runs down their timer, sometimes these super groups still just cut them down, gladly going rogue together since they're one team.

Because there is reputation in this game - your name and your past actions as remembered by 10 guys who will not let you get away with it. If the means driving griefing rogues out of the DZ or server...mission accomplished, you control the zone and have free run of it...as long as you can keep it together and don't give in to temptation.

And the same goes for super scary PKing Rogue Mobs. Wanna pretend you're Negan and run a hoard of crazed killers? Go for it. You can command a lot of fear and power...for a time. But ultimately there's no honor among thieves, people start disagreeing when it's time to go clean, and eventually and inevitably (when not cheating...agree needs fixing) you find yourselves huddling in a cubby with grenades raining in, on fire, trying to survive for 10, 9, 8, 7, BOOM - and there goes the last 2 hours of play, several DZ levels, big bounty cash, all those DZ keys, and all the loot. With great risk comes great reward...and a high price for failure.

Notice this one thing - all of the game play types above is social, not just multi-player, but legitimately socia. And all of this requires a level of role-playing, as in choosing to play a role and to become content for someone else's game play. Like agreeing to play cops and robbers vs. treasure hunter vs. Lewis & Clark.

But you have to play nice with others. You have to acknowledge that there are others in the sandbox with you. You have to enjoy getting killed in narratively exciting or dramatic or funny ways. It's about the story and memories and friendship...because it's play.

If you didn't play Division with a mic, you got 10% of the experience.

If you didn't find a dedicated, trusted squad to play with for a few hours, you got 5% of the experience.

If you never tried to understand the Rogue experience by deliberately going Rogue yourself, you got 1% of the experience...and frustrated at an ""unfair" game system you never really tried out (looking at you Forbes 'reviewer' hacks.)

And that's the true Division out there - a psychological division. A personality test. A crucible in which you test your limits of compassion and cooperation.

The true "Division" is between:

people who know how to and enjoy playing nice with others, and those who don't know how or don't want to

people who are imaginative 'tactical role-players' who love playing in the sandbox to create stories together and those who are competitive leader-board climbers who want games to make them feel like they're #1

people who are compassionate towards their friends and emphatic enough to anticipate and defeat their opponents (who can become friends!) vs. people who are suspicious of everyone, ascribe terrible motives to everyone, and scream fowl whenever they don't get their way

Note that this cuts across all game dynamics. It's not Rogues vs. Care Bears. It's role players vs. game winners. Story tellers vs. achievement whores. Generously social vs. rabidly individualistic.

I believe that this is the true moral core of The Division and the true division in player psychology that it creates.

On which side of the divide do you lie?

I could be wrong and often am so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Deep thoughts and well written. Not sure I agree with everything, but I'll repost to my group.

Are they doing an open beta?

Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

I feel like that might be reading a little too much into the premise of the game. Comparing the beta to a fully fleshed out story driven game is a real stretch.

The fun part about this is that it is just the beta. Betas are built and tested to find faults before the game is shipped. From a design point, right now from what I've seen, there is a flaw that will likely keep me from playing much of the pvp. It isn't fun to take out a bunch of hard NPCs and collect some decent loot, only to have some random dickhead kill you while trying to get it out. The risk (my time and frustration) aren't worth the reward (higher level gear) if this is the norm in the game...

And of course: if you're gonna complain about something, have a solution.
- Add high level faction NPCs to the EZs.
-The EZs work like a king of the hill. They must be controlled by a faction before an extraction can be called in. When this control happens, backup faction NPCs spawn to help control the EZ. They only defend as long as there are controlling players within the area. These NPCs attack within a fixed range, and maybe have a damage multiplyer vs rogue agents within the EZ.. really make camping the EZs to farm gear from other players difficult.

That's really my biggest thing with the EZ camping.. There wasn't much risk in doing it. You are always going to have the advantage... and the rewards were great..

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
And a single well placed hacker could ruin even that on DayZ.

True. That is where you have a well run server that is white listed and regulated and backed up so you don't lose much.
stonewall50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
So let's gang up and smoke some fools!

I wish I had a PC
stonewall50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
I wish I had a PC
I'm playing it on ps4
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in