mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deplorable...

i'm looking to buy a big TV, recommendations?

My soulless 61" died last month but i do have other TV's to use for now.
before that, i had an anamorphic 60" that was a beautiful piece of furniture.

i looked at a samsung 65" and a 75" and for laughs, an 82"

any recommendations for a 65" or 75" flatscreen not a curved?
i don't mind waiting a few months for sales, i was looking at a 65" samsung for $1500.

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever pepetrated upon the American people

Last edited by freedom; 09-08-2017 at 11:49 PM.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
My inlaws got the 75" 1080 sammy with bluetooth. Not sure on the model at the moment.... but its great. If your big on sports tho, get the highest hertz you can. Thats the only downfall for this tv. The motion blur is unbeleivably bad.

Samsung is def the brightest color tv out there.

Lg oled tvs are friggin awesome but way to pricey.

4k is nice but most budget 4k tvs are not true 4k.

Honestly 1080 is still a good platform, and deals are still there. My brother bought a new sammy 4k, and i have to say, for the price im not impressed, i finally got him yo admit it too... while he was drunk the other night too lol.

Im currently looking for around a 60" myself... just havent decided yet.
iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

sony xbr75x850d.....4k rocks as long as you have 4k content....otherwise it is just an overpriced 1080 display.
ceverhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to travis1581

I picked up an LG 65UH7700 (65") last black friday for $1100. Its large enough to see pixels if I am sitting a few feet from it (which I never am). I honestly am not that impressed with 4k. Use this chart to determine what resolution you need:

I actually would have went 1080p except I was interested in HDR. There are two form factors of HDR (HDR10 & Dobly Vision). This particular TV has both. Like the HD disc and beta tapes before them, either HDR10 or Dobly will survive, but odds are one will go the way of the dinosaur. I wanted to future proof myself as much as possible. At the time when I purchased, only two companies put both in their TVs, some LG models and some Visio models. I am happy to say HDR (when HDR content is available) makes the images much more vibrant and I personally would have been disappointed if I learned about it after I purchased a TV.

My only complaint about this particular TV is dark scenes are tough to distinguish what is going on if HDR is not available. However, it could be a setup thing. I literally took it out of the box and hung it on the wall and have yet to adjust any of the picture settings.

Evil Ehm Build
travis1581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Probably would wait until the Black Friday time to year to consider home electronics. Deals will be there for the taking.

I hate Samsung customer service, but honestly couldn't recommend another TV or monitor more. Every one I have ever owned worked well, even the one that needed a few capacitors.
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1581 View Post
My only complaint about this particular TV is dark scenes are tough to distinguish what is going on if HDR is not available. However, it could be a setup thing. I literally took it out of the box and hung it on the wall and have yet to adjust any of the picture settings.
That's a fairly common problem. Out of the box TV's are way overdriven to look brighter and more vivid on a store display. In this "store display" config LED as the back light is bright enough to make black look like gray.

It's also why OLED backlit TV's stand out so much because a single OLED backlights each pixel so each pixel can be dimmed or turned totally off.

LED Properly set up there's still a difference, but not as much as a store display highlights.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1581 View Post
I honestly am not that impressed with 4k.

Something to consider about 4K is that MOST of what you watch, source content, ISN'T 4K. Even what you can get 4K is often very low frame rate. If you are watching TV, you aren't seeing more than 1080 and more often stretched 4/7 variants. This looks particularly crappy on a 4k TV that is making up part of the picture you are seeing and gets worse when close and big screen.

The darkness issue can also be the source material and resolution, particularly if watching from an online source. The compression takes away a lot of detail where it doesn't think you might see it....like dark areas.

HDR, like 4K is going to be a while before it becomes mainstream, if at all. There are a lot of standards out there right now and some agreement has to be come to before 4K can become a "streaming" standard. Considering where internet access speed is for many Americans, it may not.
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

For my 4k tv I bought an upscaling blu ray player. It delivers my netflix, vudu and blu ray in almost 4k quality but it was a $300 additional cost....best 4k player for the $$ is the xbox one S.
ceverhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Rtings.com good tv review site.
iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bad Juju

If you don't actually need a TV tuner (like you stream/digital cable box/Blu-Ray everything), you could save some dough by looking at Vizio's line of multimedia monitors. Vizio puts out a pretty good screen.

Watch www.bensbargains.com or a similar deal site, something will pop up.
ClarkGryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in