mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Northern Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz121 View Post
If you can bump up the graphics card some you might be interested in the 1060 3gb

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...cmp%5B%5D=3566

The performance to value is just a bit better on gpubenchmark than the 1050 ti.

Just a thought.
Fairly sizeable price difference at the moment tho, and if not a huge game I reckon a 1050ti is more than enough. SSD and 16gb ram tho is noticable across all programs more or less. I whole heartily endorse his choice of Samsung on SSD, best performance and warranty IMO. Im personally not sure on the M2 pcie yet, since it is so expensive and less warranty 5vs10 years on the pro models) but damn new tech is cool
Old 10-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Most of the newest tech is so overpowered for most use. Nice to have, not always necessary. Except memory, you can always have more memory.

Do you need your program to load in .00005 seconds or .00008 seconds?

Build to your budget and build it for what you need it to do.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive View Post
Fairly sizeable price difference at the moment tho, and if not a huge game I reckon a 1050ti is more than enough. SSD and 16gb ram tho is noticable across all programs more or less. I whole heartily endorse his choice of Samsung on SSD, best performance and warranty IMO. Im personally not sure on the M2 pcie yet, since it is so expensive and less warranty 5vs10 years on the pro models) but damn new tech is cool
Shoot this Etherium bump really has screwed with prices, I was just basing it off when I purchased mine, that is a bigger chunk of change.
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paroxysm

What resolution is your monitor?
Do you have an existing PSU you need to use or must that be in the budget?

What is your total overall budget?

Honestly... an SSD is TOTALLY worth the outlay. Install your OS on it. An SSD can take a total craptastic machine and make it useable, when an HDD would make it grind.

What CAD programs are you using? Does it benefit from more cores? Are you prepared to do a little work in overclocking, or do you want an easy life?

For example:

If your cad program benefits from cores, it might be worthwhile going for the Ryzen 1700 rather than the 1600, but those models have lower clocks, so some minor tinkering to up the multiplier to say 3.7ghz would be a good idea (on the stock cooler this is fine and they are almost guaranteed to get to 3.7Ghz at low volts). However, when it comes to memory for Ryzen... you really need to consider getting something with Samsung B-die memory, and not the 'Hynix' based stuff, otherwise you memory speed will be limited. I recommend something like "3200Mhz GEIL EVO X Ryzen Edition". RAM is really expensive right now, but I would try to get 16GB (2x 8GB) if I were you.

Now... if you want a 'set and forget' system, then try to get hold of the new coffee lake i5 '8400' CPU. VERY hard to get hold of right now, as Intel brought it out early to try and stop the hemorrhaging from AMD's Ryzen CPU's so there is almost no stock. Only 6 core (and no hyper threading) but pretty fast CPU for not a lot of money, and very good single thread performance. Would get mullered in multi-thread by the 1600 and 1700 though.

For graphics, I would recommend a minimum of a 1060 or RX 580 though. Unfortunately they are a little pricey right now.

Last edited by Scougar; 10-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Scougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
TBH, you can get away with a moderately priced GPU these days and still be happy. I'm still getting along just fine with my GTX 970. Games these days really aren't the performance hogs they once were. Overall, "Moore's Law" has pretty much screeched to a halt as computer power has generally plateaued in recent years. So, game developers are designing their games accordingly. When I built my PC early last year, I sunk most of my money into a good SSD for my primary partition, plenty of RAM (16 GB PC3 14900) and a decent CPU (Core i5-4690K). While it wasn't on the bleeding edge even when I built it, I can still play the games I like on ultra high quality and at a solid framerate.
My Feedback Thread
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
What CAD programs are you using? Does it benefit from more cores? Are you prepared to do a little work in overclocking, or do you want an easy life.
IIRC He uses Solidworks and google says yes, atleast for important stuff like rendering.

I don't know much about AMD or the super technical stuff about CPU's, but the only difference I can see between the Ryzen and older chips is socket type and wattage.

$85 6-core 3.5ghz 4.1 turob
$130 8-core 4.0ghz 4.2 turbo

$65 AM3+ Socket DDR3

$61 DDR3 1866 8gb CL:10
$110 DDR3 1866 16gb CL:10
$125 DDR3 2133 16gb

The FX series AMD cards have built in graphics so you might be able to get away without a graphics card depending on the games you play or at least having a useable pc without one for awhile.

So you can save $53-$162 or $198-$307(no gpu), if you want to stick to older parts. You can get an AIO cpu cooler for O.C. and a nicer graphics card.
I have a quad-core 3.7 ghz and DDR3 1866 16gb CL:8 and it feels more than adequate. I spent 4x as much on my cpu and the 8-core 4.0 ghz AMD would trounce it.

-EDIT
Scratch all of that. I forgot to consider the number of logical cores. Everything you chose is good.

MCB Feedback

Last edited by YBBPI; 10-10-2017 at 11:46 PM.
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Thank for the feedback, everyone!

I'm currently using FreeCAD for my projects, but moreso out of a "it will run on my ancient laptop" reason than anything else. Being able to move to a modern commercial program is one of my goals with this build.

I've moved to a 250gb M.2 SSD for the primary drive. I have a couple of old 7,200 RPM drives that I'll toss in for extra storage (hopefully some of my old files have survived!)

My budget is pretty tight for this one, because I'm having to buy EVERYTHING. My case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc were all lost to the flood that claimed the rest of the system (back in 2013).

I realize that 8gb of ram is going to be sub-par, which is why I picked the full ATX board; after my budget recovers a bit, I'll be able to grab another 8gb and toss it in. I would, ideally, wait a bit longer, but my laptop can no longer slice 3D files, so the new printer I just bought has been rendered useless. I guess it's just time.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It looks like your pretty committed to the path you're taking but I just can't help chiming in to say that a corporate off-lease HP Z420 workstation has insanely good build quality, will cost you about $300-$400, practically silent acoustics, and a Xeon 6 core processor. Add an SSD for $100 to $200 and you're most likely under budget with an enterprise grade piece of equipment. HP Enterprise has practically nothing to do with the HP Consumer stuff sold at Staples or Costco.

Check this out:

HP Z420 WORKSTATION Six 6 CORE 6C XEON E5-1650 3.20GHz/32GB/250Gb/Q600/Win 7 XA
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
TBH, you can get away with a moderately priced GPU these days and still be happy. I'm still getting along just fine with my GTX 970.
Haha! GTX970 is still a high-end GPU despite being "old".

I'm still rocking a GTX780 that handles everything I play just fine. Top end cards are still performance monsters, don't think otherwise just because there is new tech every year

Lrrpie-CT suggestion is a fantastic one!

Quote:

Check this out:

HP Z420 WORKSTATION Six 6 CORE 6C XEON E5-1650 3.20GHz/32GB/250Gb/Q600/Win 7 XA
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Everything EXCEPT my RAM arrived today, so I stayed up late assembling the system. It's been a while since I put one together, and it took a bit of googling to nail all the new standards (ATX12V's multiple plugs, for example) but it's together now. I still have a couple of old sata platter drives I'll toss in, once I have an OS installed, but those wires are already run, and hidden.

Following the advice here, I went ahead and splurged on a 16gb RAM kit and the M.2 SSD for the primary drive. I'm pretty excited to fire it up and take it for a spin (probably windows updates!)

My feedback thread

Last edited by lordkyleofearth; 10-14-2017 at 04:35 AM.
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in