mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Paintball FPS's

Yesterday I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004 - my go to game whenever I'm bored and need a quick FPS fix outside of whatever I've been playing recently - and got to thinking about cover during one of the many shootouts which got me to thinking about playing paintball last Saturday. Suddenly, it hit me: paintball themed first person shooters. Now, I've seen them in the past, usually as mods to existing FPS's and even tried a few in the distant past, but nothing for more than a few hours of an afternoon before uninstalling. I'm interested in seeing what everyone else is playing. I know, I know, playing paintball on a computer is not as good as flinging actual paint, but winter is coming and as me and the wife are expecting our first within a month, I figured an electronic substitute may help curb my appetite.

So, is anyone out there playing a paintball FPS on your PCs, and if so, which one(s)? Stand alone or mod? I've got Quake (all of 'em, except the latest Enemy Territory: Quake Wars) and UT2K4, as well as the first Half-Life box set, if that helps anybody. I know I'm missing some from my collection, but as I'm posting this at work, away from said collection, I'll just have to post a more comprehensive list later.

Thanks in advance!

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Let's Go Mountaineers!

Send a message via MSN to SHOOT3R USA

If only it was on PC

Championship Paintball Breakout 2009 New Paintball Video Game

MCB Feedback

Harb: SHOOT3R is genetically predisposed to be an idiot
Harb: he saves most of the idiocy for in here
SHOOT3R: so i was butt naked in this corn field right?
SHOOT3R USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

I saw that, part of the reason I posted. Obviously, I don't have an XBox 360 (no consoles in my house except an old Atari 2600 and a Game Boy Advance SP for field times) and, sorry, probably wouldn't play it even if I did. I despise, with a deep and burning hatred, any FPS that doesn't include the possibility of using a keyboard and a mouse. You just don't have the control with a gamepad like you do with a mouse, and as long as I've been playing FPSs with mouse and keyboard (since around the time of the first time id released a Wolfenstein) I can't relearn my muscles to anything less.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Isn't paintball basically pretending to be playing army.

Wouldn't a Paintball FPS be pretending to be pretending playing army?
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day

Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

If you got the Halflife stuff, there is digital paintball. It is really fun, just like any other HL mod.

They have one for HL and HL2
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slayer of Care Bears

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
Isn't paintball basically pretending to be playing army.

Wouldn't a Paintball FPS be pretending to be pretending playing army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
If you got the Halflife stuff, there is digital paintball. It is really fun, just like any other HL mod.

They have one for HL and HL2
Digital paintball was cool for about 10 minutes.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pretty sure I'm not 'Agg'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post

Digital paintball was cool for about 10 minutes.
Ditto that.

I don't think they have managed to do paintball on a computer justice yet. Some of the new FPS' that allow the player to utilize cover might be an improvement but the real problem lies in the basic rule of paintball that once hit, you are out. The 'real combat' FPS' dance around this with their stupid "Oh, I'll just shrug off the hit I took from that .308, take a swig from this health pack and WhaLa! I'm good as new.' Bunch of B.S. Unfortunately we gamers have become so conditioned to it that it is acceptable. If someone were to write a game with a realistic combat damage system it would be boring to play, everyone would hunker down behind cover and wait for the other guy to do something stupid so that you could blow them away. To make a paintball game work you would have to come up with a system that kept play dynamic, but didn't smack of cheating. Would not be easy to do.

Also, while I"m venting about FPS' Does anyone else HATE it that in most games players run around the map at ridiculous speeds, often running sideways and even backwards at full speed? I don't know about you guys but if I even tried to run backwards more than 10 feet I'd bust my @$$. And no way would I run anywhere near my full speed backwards or even sideways.

Don't get me wrong, I love FPS games, but I would REALLY love one that was a bit more focused on brains than on crazy stupid reflexes and a fast computer.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Or everyone jumps around in multiplayer. I played MP once with my brother and quit when he started jumping out of habit. I told him that was BS especially since the MC can jump 10 feet. I know Halo isn't realistic, but still.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
the proper use of .50cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Ditto that.

I don't think they have managed to do paintball on a computer justice yet. Some of the new FPS' that allow the player to utilize cover might be an improvement but the real problem lies in the basic rule of paintball that once hit, you are out. The 'real combat' FPS' dance around this with their stupid "Oh, I'll just shrug off the hit I took from that .308, take a swig from this health pack and WhaLa! I'm good as new.' Bunch of B.S. Unfortunately we gamers have become so conditioned to it that it is acceptable. If someone were to write a game with a realistic combat damage system it would be boring to play, everyone would hunker down behind cover and wait for the other guy to do something stupid so that you could blow them away. To make a paintball game work you would have to come up with a system that kept play dynamic, but didn't smack of cheating. Would not be easy to do.
Try "American Army Online", I die quite a lot in that game. Once you are dead you sit out untill the next round, (about 5min rounds, unitll the the objective is reached or the other side is dead). It allows for cover and prone shooting. Maybe a mods of that could work? I think it is based of the Unreal engine but I am not sure.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
ton up boy

Buy an old xbox and Greg Hastings Max´d, shouldnt cost you too much.
That is if you want to play tourney paintball.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in