mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
What brand and model of IP router/firewall do you have? That'll help give more explicit directions.
Brand is a Belkim
FD6231-4

I am setting up a semi personal file storage system for school.
With easy file sharing web server.

No one without username/password is going to be able to log in. It is to store files for next term for school we have around 20 people making a game we need a centralized location for all assets.

I understand that basics, It may be easier and less confusing if you pretend I am an idiot.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to sgt-spam

You're actually doing one-to-many NAT. One external address translated to many internal addresses...

If performance is important, you might consider going with FTP. FTP will be faster than HTTP for strictly file transfer.

Port forwarding is fairly simple. You just need to know the port the traffic comes IN on, and forward that port to the IP address of your server. That's been stated already.

As an example, my home network consists of five or six desktops, a couple laptops, a couple print servers, three servers, a NAS, a couple WAPs... Even using one server and one external IP address, you can still host multiple web sites - different web sites. I have HTTP, FTP, RDP, and SMTP all coming in to various machines on the network. You can obviously go as complex as you like.

Also, be aware that there may be more than one port involved when you're forwarding. Some programs, to function properly, may need several ports forwarded, different protocols (TCP/UDP), or even a range.
sgt-spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Okay. The Belkin has a default IP of 192.168.2.1. If you left it as the default log into your router by opening Internet Explorer and typing http://192.168.2.1 into the address bar. Log in with whatever password you set. The default is password. Once you are in click on the tab on the left labeled Firewall. Click on Virtual Server. In the first line click enable, description (web), inbound port (80-80), type (TCP), Private IP (192.168.2.?), Private Port (80-80), Apply changes.

Make sure the PC that's doing the web serving is set to static IP rather than DHCP. Post if you're not sure how to change that. Now, depending upon the ISP, port 80 might be blocked. If so change the inbound port to 81-81. To test it from the outside, get your public IP (www.showmyip.com), post it here and we'll see. Make sure the web server is running. If you need to change the default port from 80 to another number the URL will look like this:

http://testing123.com:81/

Have at it and report back!

Matt

You're also going to need a Dynamic DNS client...
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You'll want to make sure you can modify the port the service is running on inside your network!

If your ISP blocks 80, and you change the router to forward port 81, but the service isn't running on port 81 on the server, you won't see anything.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

No. He'll run port 80 on the inside and 81 on the outside. (if he has port 80 blocking). My directions were specific for the brand of router he has.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

Ok so I was pretty much doing it right.

Now the problem I have is I click enable, I put in the information
192.168.2.56 (In this case) then I click apply and once I refresh/leave and come back to the page the information I put in is wiped. (Does this mean that port is blocked?)

I am not sure how to set it to a static IP how do I double check?

Also the program that I am using has a free dynamic domain service built into it. (I assume they are work pretty much the same)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
No. He'll run port 80 on the inside and 81 on the outside. (if he has port 80 blocking). My directions were specific for the brand of router he has.
Yes they were. I'm surprised the router supports forwarding an inbound port request to a different port on the private machine.

I guess I've been away from the SOHO stuff longer than I thought. :-)

Carry on.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in