mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Ooooooh damn. Frustrating

Trying to help my brother build a computer. Everything is from newegg, good prices actually I was surprised. Duo Core intel system with 2gigs of ram. Everything fit, everything plugged into one another nicely. Yay so far.

Until it was time to turn it on. Won't load. So I go into the BIOS and disable reading from floppy, as there is none. Has the 250gig hard drive, and a cd/dvd rom. So switched setting to read first/only from those.

Still no success. Won't boot. I can open the drive, pop in a boot disk, and restart. It just won't read. Either that, or it is reading and there is a problem with the transmission of data from CD to harddrive.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting plugs to make sure for proper connection. Anybody have any more ideas? Been working on this for a little and I'm on the fried side.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ports on the motherboard are just broken. I've gotten plenty of bum equipment from Newegg (not that it's their fault).
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Go into the bios and make sure quick boot is off. Make sure you set the boot order to: CD-Rom then Hard drive. This is done differently on different motherboards, so you may have to dig a bit through the bios.

Watch the bios screen as it checks the equipment. Does it register the Hard drive? Does it register the CD-Rom?

What's the last message on the screen during boot up?

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Are the pins (master / slave /CS) set on the drives? If they are set to master on the channels, set them to CS. or vice versa.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Are the pins (master / slave /CS) set on the drives? If they are set to master on the channels, set them to CS. or vice versa.
I was gonna say that.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trololol

Fan of EMR
Actually the bastard didn't give me the full info on the cd/dvd drive. He gutted it from his previous computer to put into this one since the one he ordered hadn't arrived yet.

Came in today. Swapped those out. Now working.

DAMN I forgot to look at the pins to see the setting. Should put it on CS for Counter Strike and watch his computer go rambo on the place.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trololol

Fan of EMR
That makes me wonder, maybe you guys know. I'll try google now and see what I get.

But would the be a possibility that a cd (cd/dvd) drive could be computer specific? As in once programmed onto one computer you can't rip it out and reprogram it to a brand new computer?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Very little chance of that today. Years ago (well over ten) there were CDROM drives with propietary interfaces that required a specific add-in controller card.

If your motherboard has the matching connector there is little chance that it won't work properly if the jumpers are set properly and the cables are plugged in properly.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in