mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'll split your arrow!

Send a message via AIM to mark Send a message via MSN to mark

SS v. Phantom

Well, I'm really looking for a nice stock class pump in the near future, and I'm stuck between two markers. I hate making vs. threads, but there really arnt any other pump players anywhere near me, so I'm kind of lacking in first hand knowledge and the ability to try each.

The two markers I can't choose between are:

Phantom; t-stock, 45* frame, VCS, trigger shoe, custom anno, clear parts (basically one of wevo's custom phantoms)

Palmer's Super Stocker; not much else to say about it.

Any help and insight would be appreciated.

1. hurricane
An temporary alliance formed between the ocean and the sky with the goal of killing people. The ocean's ability to attack the land is limited, so it lends the sky some of its water and energy so it can assault people farther inland then it normally could.
Hurricanes are far more powerful then the storms the sky creates on its own. They are just another reason the ocean must be destroyed.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Is weight a big issue for you ? The Phantom is a lot lighter than the SuperStocker. It's also a lot more versatile with interchangable barrels and breeches. If it's your first pump, I'd suggest the Phantom to start. Less initial investment and more versatilitiy for what you pay for. I personally don't have a SuperStocker, but if it's anything like PPS other guns then it's exceptional quality. Don't get me wrong, the SuperStocker would be an awesome pump gun, but I think the Phantom would be more friendly to someone just starting pump.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

except for the slight cost differential, there is no question in my mind...
a plain jane super stocker starts at around $350 used. phantoms can attain that price range w/ add-ons...

check out this link...

http://paintmagazine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5190

Last edited by freedom; 05-10-2006 at 06:32 PM.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Apples and oranges can't be compared neither can these two, they both have different tastes.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to dr_dan

It really all comes down to what you're comfortable with.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Having shot both I prefer the stocker. The brass is heavier which makes for a more stable firing platform for me.

As much as I like Mike and CCI products, the Phantom has always felt TOO light for my tastes.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Just get both.

Buy a Phantom first then save your pennies for a SS...undoubtably you'll enjoy both.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Although the Phantom IS light, I find it to be the marker I am most accurate with, and I find it to be my most accurate marker (RobertSR's post hints at this difference). I haven't shot a SuperStocker, but I'm sure its accuracy would compare quite well to a Phantom. Both will fire well, it's just up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. One thing to consider is that the Phantom uses Detent rings to retain balls in the standard CCI barrel, and the bore is usually large (>.691), so rollouts are a definite concern. The SS can be made with wedgits, which work very well to retain all sizes of balls. I've heard people are generally disappointed with the detent rings for the Phantom, so you may need a different barrel for smaller bore paint (I use a 15.5" .689 boomstick as my primary Phantom barrel...). Good luck!

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Couldn't agree with you more SpinDoctor!

The Phantom is a heck of an accurate marker. My buddy Wayne once hit a running player 3 times with 3 shots from his Phantom at something like 20 yards. I just can't get over the feeling that I'm going to break the darned things.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I've had that same good luck, my Phantom is the only marker that I can aim and hit someone while they are running laterally to my position. It's unbelievable, but I've done it on repeat occasions. Wish I had video to prove it...

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers