mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #8731 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondo View Post

Well, there goes that idea...

I know... That was my first idea. I ended up asking Redbeard if I could try it, I was sad to see that it covered the trigger almost entirely.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #8732 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Anybody have a better idea to deal with rollouts? Trying out my Thumper with an external reg today & kept losing balls out the barrel. Never noticed the problem before this. I'm using an Apex tip & barrel.
FredX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #8733 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredX4 View Post
Anybody have a better idea to deal with rollouts? Trying out my Thumper with an external reg today & kept losing balls out the barrel. Never noticed the problem before this. I'm using an Apex tip & barrel.
For starters, does the barrel to ball mach up?
Is the ball too small for the barrel to begin with? Most causes of roll outs is that problem. If that is the only barrel you got use the tape mod or the nail polish mod to fix it.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #8734 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
Apex bores tend to be pretty huge. Lapco sells breech sizers for cockers that work very well, I use one on my Thumper.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #8735 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Where is you're detent? Mine works great after I glued it back together with some high quality glue. Either that our under bore.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #8736 (permalink)
camocow200

WOW! I have never had a problem with rollouts..and i over bore..690, .689. Id check your detent..

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (920) 100% positive
MCB 275 +
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #8737 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Rollouts meaning the balls are rolling out the tip of the barrel or that the ball isn't chambering properly behind the detent when pumping the gun?

If it's the first, get a sizer or something, and even then there is probably a problem with your detent. Have you taken your thumper apart since you last used it? are you using different paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woouulf View Post
WOW! I have never had a problem with rollouts..and i over bore..690, .689. Id check your detent..
dido, and I have even had success underboring on one of my thumpers

I bet on what moose said
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #8738 (permalink)
MCB Member

Since I broke the tail stock on the lathe saturday. I have to wait for 2 weeks to get parts in so I will have to continue with the piston later.
Thumper set up today. A G3 stock barrel, 48/3000 tank (compressed air) screwed directly into the thumper I think the out put is like 750 or so. Hand loading reballs in to the breech.

So I moved on to the reg tester today. Got it all hooked up and yes that hole with the grub screw is at the LP area.
I found a couple of things.
1) the lowest the lp will go is 180 psi = 160 FPS with reballs (on average)
2) the highest the ip will go is 290 psi = 240 FPS with reballs (on average)
3) the flow rate is real low when it is fully open the rate is only about 150 psi of straight flow. (That would explain why the auto trigger does not work)
3) When the reg is screwed all the way in to give the max velocity but the balls don't feed correct, they get jammed and won't drop in. Because I am hand feeding them in I can put a little pressure to make them pop in.
Which makes NO scenes at all.
In conclusion the reg does work but not very well. On another note I shot about 100 balls threw and another 50-60 dry shots and the piston stayed together.

Thats my findings for today.
I won't get a chance to work on it till thuursday. Real work is a calling.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #8739 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Lol, such is life. Nice work though. Some real data to back up my long held hunch. I still believe the stock internal reg has a lot of potential, but as it's been current implemented I'd rather avoid it by using an inline reg. Honestly I was never a fan of the a/t, as it seems like it was an afterthought (actually the whole sliding trigger design does imho), so I avoid it like the plague even before I found out there were so many potential issues it would cause.

It is odd that, when the reg is turned up all the way, you had problems feeding... I mean, the feed system should be totally independent of the piston/regulator system. I mean, they're supposed to be totally independent. Do you have any idea whether your piston might have something to do with this (the only think I can imagine is that, god knows why, at over a certain pressure the piston moves forward, even though the four nub things on the front of it should prevent it from doing so?)? Very strange...

For once I feel like we're heading in the right direction though!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #8740 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
It is odd that, when the reg is turned up all the way, you had problems feeding... I mean, the feed system should be totally independent of the piston/regulator system. I mean, they're supposed to be totally independent. Do you have any idea whether your piston might have something to do with this (the only think I can imagine is that, god knows why, at over a certain pressure the piston moves forward, even though the four nub things on the front of it should prevent it from doing so?)? Very strange...

For once I feel like we're heading in the right direction though!
Here is my thought on this theory:
I don't think it is the piston. I think it is the trigger assembly and area.
I think if you put too much pressure on that clippard valve, it pushes too far out which then pushes the trigger assembly, then pushes on the little brass piece on the "cocking leaver" and won't let it push all the way in. Thus not letting a ball drop correctly.

toymachine with the inline reg you use can you get your velocity up to 300 or past? I can seem to get mine up past 260 using their reg.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Pump Markers